Join for free
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 08:01 PM

The TIGER BALM GARDENS

I have inherited an album of actual photographs of the legendary & fabulous TIGER BALM GARDENS.
The images were taken by my uncle and namesake, a son of the sea who served for 22 years in the RN. He liked the life and in the years 1952-1978 traveled the 7 seas in the merchant navy.

The gardens contain an extravaganza of exquisitely crafted tableux of PURGATORY ;the passage of souls in physical torment & being crushed between grinding stones, cut in half,& other ghastly procedures.

I don't kmow much about the TIGER BALM GARDENS, only that they would be non PC in this age, having associations with the cruel trade in Tiger parts.

Anyone come across info about this place. It was in Hong Kong or Singapore, maybe both PIcs C1954
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2017, 07:22 AM

Re: The TIGER BALM GARDENS

Thanks Silver Tabby.............
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2017, 11:31 AM

As a matter of fact I was in Singapore in 1954 and the Tiger Balm Gardens was very much a feature of the place. I never fancied visiting, though. There were plenty of other things to occupy me there. I have many vivid memories of the place.

It was National Service that took me there.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

25-04-2017, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Magoo ->
As a matter of fact I was in Singapore in 1954 and the Tiger Balm Gardens was very much a feature of the place. I never fancied visiting, though. There were plenty of other things to occupy me there. I have many vivid memories of the place.

It was National Service that took me there.
Many thanks for that memory

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top