Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2017, 06:08 PM

Arthritis in Cats

Does any one on this forum have an elderly cat with Arthritis? If so, did you take her/him to the Vets for pills or did you buy some Vitamin Pills on the Internet.

I have made an appointment at the Vets for this Thursday with Coco, her right back leg is very stiff and she limps a bit, this is only when she gets up of the chair, after walking around a bit it eases off, I don't know whether this is Arthritis or has she pulled a muscle. Coco is 14 years old now.

Any suggestions please.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2017, 06:26 PM

Re: Arthritis in Cats

Susie, when I get up in the morning my leg joints are stiff and painful, but it eases when I start moving about and I know that I have mild arthritis in my knees.
I would see what your vet suggests, but I have to say I have never known a cat with arthritis so it could be something less permanent.
I hope that Coco is lucky and it can soon be healed.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2017, 08:05 PM

Thanks Diane. Hopefully she might have just pulled a muscle because she runs around like a nut case, its been a week now she has been like this.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Thanks Diane. Hopefully she might have just pulled a muscle because she runs around like a nut case, its been a week now she has been like this.
I know how much you care and I am sure you are worried about her, but I am sure the vet will come up with some answers.
I have never been without a cat for 40 years, so have seen many health problems, including 2 diabetic ones and one with asthma, but the only reasons I have lost any has been cancer, kidney problems or in one case a stroke at the age of almost 23......... so I don't think a sore leg will be too big a challenge for your vet.
Good luck, and let us know what he says.....with 5 cats I am bound to find that one of mine has similar symptoms one day.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 10:04 AM

We were lucky when we had cats they didn't suffer lpwith this but I've had a few dogs had to take meds I always got it from the vet and it worked pretty well. I always liked my vet tested kidneys and liver as many meds in elderly animals can cause other problems so getting them from the vet felt safer to me.

I'm a big fan of the oils you can buy over the counter and usually about 8 years old start putting a spoonful in their foods.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK

26-04-2017, 01:43 PM

Thanks Diane and Julie.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK

27-04-2017, 08:02 PM

Hi Diane and Julie,

Just came back from the Vets with Coco, she has got mild Arthritis, he could have given me tablets for her, but he wants £38 for them when I can buy them over the counter, he just told me to buy Glucosamine tablets which Humans have, but shops now do them for Cats and Dogs as well, so I will go to the shops on Saturday and buy them for her, only small dosage though.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

28-04-2017, 06:32 AM

Hi Diane and Julie,

Just came back from the Vets with Coco, she has got mild Arthritis, he could have given me tablets for her, but he wants £38 for them when I can buy them over the counter, he just told me to buy Glucosamine tablets which Humans have, but shops now do them for Cats and Dogs as well, so I will go to the shops on Saturday and buy them for her, only small dosage though.
At least you now know what is causing her pain and I have just found this on the internet.

"How does it work?

Glucosamine is found naturally in your body. It plays an important role in making glycosaminoglycans and glycoproteins, which are essential building blocks of many parts of your joints, including ligaments, tendons, cartilage and synovial fluid. It’s been suggested that the way these parts of your joint are built and maintained contributes to the development and the progression of osteoarthritis.

Animal studies have found that giving glucosamine can delay the breakdown of cartilage as well as rebuild it."

... so it sounds like glucosamine could be the best treatment.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK

28-04-2017, 07:56 AM

Hi Diane, I can't seem to find the right dosage on the Internet, the Vet said only 250mg a day, all the tablets seem to be 1000mg, so i'm ringing up the Vets this morning and get them from him, I will just have to pay high price for them, after all Coco comes first before money.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

28-04-2017, 08:27 AM

Hi Diane, I can't seem to find the right dosage on the Internet, the Vet said only 250mg a day, all the tablets seem to be 1000mg, so i'm ringing up the Vets this morning and get them from him, I will just have to pay high price for them, after all Coco comes first before money.
I am sure she does, and it is always better to get medications from the vets because the ones for humans may have something in them that isn't suitable for cats.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top