Join for free
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 05:41 PM

Air Coolers or Air Conditioners - any advice?

When we have these high temperatures PLUS humidity, I always consider buying some kind of portable air cooling device.

Looking online, as ever, has confused me yet again.

There are so many different types and the prices vary enormously.

If this weather continues, I shall probably do the usual trick of bottles of frozen water, although it would be nice to have some kind of sensible device I can plug in.

Any thoughts please?
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 05:48 PM

Re: Air Coolers or Air Conditioners - any advice?

You can strap some cold bottles of water to a floor fan, but be prepared to change them often.
I had n air conditioning unit ages ago, but it only cooled the room. In the bedroom, the noise was unbearable.

Do you have insulated curtains? Keep the windows shat after the temperature rises?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
When we have these high temperatures PLUS humidity, I always consider buying some kind of portable air cooling device.

Looking online, as ever, has confused me yet again.

There are so many different types and the prices vary enormously.

If this weather continues, I shall probably do the usual trick of bottles of frozen water, although it would be nice to have some kind of sensible device I can plug in.

Any thoughts please?
Fender is your man to ask.

Though he deals with industrial air conditioning I can think of no better to ask.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
You can strap some cold bottles of water to a floor fan, but be prepared to change them often.
I had n air conditioning unit ages ago, but it only cooled the room. In the bedroom, the noise was unbearable.

Do you have insulated curtains? Keep the windows shat after the temperature rises?
Yes I've done the water bottle/fan trick in the past

The curtains are not insulated no and the sun only comes in one side of the house in the afternoons.

Hmmmmm ... thank you for the reply.
Maybe some insulated curtain linings would help ?
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

18-06-2017, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Febnder is your man to ask.

Though he deals with industrial air conditioning I can think of no better to ask.
ah ... thanks Tpin

Maybe he'll appear later
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 06:08 PM

We couldn't live without air con here and these days they are not noisy. All ours are inverters, but I don't really understand the difference, I'm told they are cheaper to run. We also have a couple of those things you put ice blocks in the bottom, they are okay for a quick cool down. I keep a table fan in the kitchen which I use when cooking. The air con is mostly used at night to cool a room down, I don't like having doors and windows closed during he day time.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

18-06-2017, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
We couldn't live without air con here and these days they are not noisy. All ours are inverters, but I don't really understand the difference, I'm told they are cheaper to run. We also have a couple of those things you put ice blocks in the bottom, they are okay for a quick cool down. I keep a table fan in the kitchen which I use when cooking. The air con is mostly used at night to cool a room down, I don't like having doors and windows closed during he day time.
Thanks Clumsy

What I don't want us extra humidity abd it looks as if some of them ADD to the humidity

So confusing. I have 3 pedestal fans now and have left the one in the bedroom on all night recently.

The one downstairs has been on most of the day too.
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 06:26 PM

I have a fan in my bedroom too Rachel, but this thread isn't about my husband

It is so hot today that the temperature gauge shows it on evil.
I have the fans blasting away in almost every room.

As for advice, all I know is when we stayed at a hotel in London last year, the air con was so noisy we had to turn it off so we could sleep.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

18-06-2017, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cedronella ->
I have a fan in my bedroom too Rachel, but this thread isn't about my husband

It is so hot today that the temperature gauge shows it on evil.
I have the fans blasting away in almost every room.

As for advice, all I know is when we stayed at a hotel in London last year, the air con was so noisy we had to turn it off so we could sleep.
Lol ... your husband sounds good to me.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I guess that something noisy downstairs might be OK

oh gawd ... wonder if that's going to be taken as an innuendo

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top