Join for free
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz's Avatar
Azz
Admin
Azz is offline
South Wales, UK
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,564
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-06-2017, 06:11 PM
1

Grenfell Tower: Summed up by Jonathan Pie

Certainly reflects the view of a great deal of people right now.

(Contains strong language)



And as if things were't bad enough, two women who are feared dead in the Grenfell Tower tragedy were threatened with legal action - after raising alarms about fire safety

Reply With Quote
Barry's Avatar
Barry
Chatterbox
Barry is offline
North Notts
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,726
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-06-2017, 06:30 PM
2

Re: Grenfell Tower: Summed up by Jonathan Pie

Hard to argue with that, although adding to the thermal efficiency of the building and making it visually attractive benefits everyone locally one would have thought.

Having said that I have been as staggered as anyone else that fire systems aren't built into this type of block as a matter of course by legal statute, for whenever I've been involved with public construction projects in my career fire safety systems have been paramount.
Reply With Quote
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is offline
UK
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 9,740
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-06-2017, 06:31 PM
3

Re: Grenfell Tower: Summed up by Jonathan Pie

Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Hard to argue with that, although adding to the thermal efficiency of the building and making it visually attractive benefits everyone locally one would have thought.

Having said that I have been as staggered as anyone else that fire systems aren't built into this type of block as a matter of course by legal statute, for whenever I've been involved with public construction projects in my career fire safety systems have been paramount.
I agree and the alarms would need to be linked so that everyone in the block could hear it.
Reply With Quote
MKJ's Avatar
MKJ
Chatterbox
MKJ is offline
UK
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 8,376
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-06-2017, 10:42 PM
4

Re: Grenfell Tower: Summed up by Jonathan Pie

I think we are losing the plot. People are people. Some do not have 2 heads. The Labour party has suffered from corruption for many years. This is well documented and well known. In other words we are all capable of being corrupt, that is if corruption is anything to do with this particular incident. One party is no different from another in a way because it is made up of PEOPLE.

This 'them and us' attitude will lead to anarchy for sure. The signs are everywhere now. Socialism is but a hair's breath away from Communism and look how many met their death under such a regime in Russia. Lenin cared not one jot for people and used them as a means to an end - millions died - many millions come to that.

If anything we need a completely new approach, something along the lines of the way John Lewis is run where the workers own part of the company. This combines capitalism with socialism - a solid compromise.

Originally Posted by John Lewis
Employee ownership. The John Lewis Partnership is the largest employee-owned company in the UK.

https://www.johnlewispartnership.co....ownership.html
There are forces at work in the West that rely on ignorance to push their agenda and lets face it we are in the main as ignorant as they come.
Reply With Quote
Bruv
Senior Member
Bruv is online now
Kent UK
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 801
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-06-2017, 11:24 PM
5

Re: Grenfell Tower: Summed up by Jonathan Pie

MKJ are you American ? some of them equate socialism to communism too, they are very poorly informed of course.
If the Labour party is subject to corruption too.......corruption is OK ?
Poor basis for logic....methinks.
Was that a comparison between Lenin and Corbyn ? And you think we should take your arguments seriously ?

I don't know much about John Lewis but.......if it is a worker owned endeavor, engaging the work force with the creation and share of the wealth they helped create...........sounds like you have listened to Corbyn and will be joining and voting for the Labour party in future.


The video although giving basic facts over states for comedic effect.
Reply With Quote
AnnieS's Avatar
AnnieS
Senior Member
AnnieS is online now
United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,366
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-06-2017, 11:37 PM
6

Re: Grenfell Tower: Summed up by Jonathan Pie

It was sold as "thermal cladding", the block went through 10m redevelopment in what appears to be the best intentions to make it more pleasing for residents to live in (after all it looked nicer to them too) and the TMO had a large proportion of resident board members making decisions. The cladding was within our own health and safety rules for fire protection, even though it's been banned in germany and other countries. The sprinkler refurb was apparently not wanted by tenants or resident members on the board. But fire safety was an issue because there had been power surges. It's too early to say what will come out of the inquiry or whatever it is going to end up. But you have to address the fact that despite this being within Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, it's not an affluent area and never has been. There is no area overlooking it that is affluent. It's near the A road to central London and by a slip road to Shepherds bush and nobody posh was living nearby. I really don't understand the arguments about it being in a posh area and how that impacted on the decisions made by the refurb company. They just wanted to make it look nice for the residents and make it insulated. The company was chosen via a tender and maybe the procurement process wasn't as good as it should have been. The refurb company sub-contracted the cladding and that's where we have the weakness. Passing the buck.
Reply With Quote
MKJ's Avatar
MKJ
Chatterbox
MKJ is offline
UK
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 8,376
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-06-2017, 11:39 PM
7

Re: Grenfell Tower: Summed up by Jonathan Pie

Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
MKJ are you American ? some of them equate socialism to communism too, they are very poorly informed of course.
If the Labour party is subject to corruption too.......corruption is OK ?
Poor basis for logic....methinks.
Was that a comparison between Lenin and Corbyn ? And you think we should take your arguments seriously ?

I don't know much about John Lewis but.......if it is a worker owned endeavor, engaging the work force with the creation and share of the wealth they helped create...........sounds like you have listened to Corbyn and will be joining and voting for the Labour party in future.


The video although giving basic facts over states for comedic effect.
You make no sense to me. No idea what you are on about. Reading your stuff makes me question my sanity - or yours, but other times it makes me laugh.

Keep up the good work. This forum needs a few jesters and you fit the bill perfectly.

Bet you have found your way here after being booted from somewhere else - right .

Just plain silly.
Reply With Quote
AnnieS's Avatar
AnnieS
Senior Member
AnnieS is online now
United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,366
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-06-2017, 11:43 PM
8

Re: Grenfell Tower: Summed up by Jonathan Pie

Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
MKJ

The video although giving basic facts over states for comedic effect.
it gives a version of the truth. There are all sorts of distortions coming out but this terrible tragedy is IMO just the result of poor planning due to fragmented planning processes. Procured services sub-contracting of sub-contracts of sub-contracts and nobody really checking what's going on. To say that Russian oligarchs have just arrived under the tories is utter tripe. The last labour government didn't bat an eyelid at the disparities between rich and poor in London either. This is not a political party issue because it's been going on forever in London. Whatever party is in power these people have been just as neglected. Let's not pretend that's not the case.
Reply With Quote
MKJ's Avatar
MKJ
Chatterbox
MKJ is offline
UK
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 8,376
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-06-2017, 11:44 PM
9

Re: Grenfell Tower: Summed up by Jonathan Pie

Originally Posted by AnnieS View Post
it gives a version of the truth. There are all sorts of distortions coming out but this terrible tragedy is IMO just the result of poor planning due to fragmented planning processes. Procured services sub-contracting of sub-contracts of sub-contracts and nobody really checking what's going on. To say that Russian oligarchs have just arrived under the tories is utter tripe. The last labour government didn't bat an eyelid at the disparities between rich and poor in London either. This is not a political party issue because it's been going on forever in London. Whatever party is in power these people have been just as neglected. Let's not pretend that's not the case.
Whatever. You and Bruv make a fine pair.

I really can't be bovvered to expand on my post as it would be wasted energy and it is time for bed.
Reply With Quote
AnnieS's Avatar
AnnieS
Senior Member
AnnieS is online now
United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,366
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-06-2017, 11:46 PM
10

Re: Grenfell Tower: Summed up by Jonathan Pie

Originally Posted by MKJ View Post
Whatever. You and Bruv make a fine pair.

I really can't be bovvered to expand on my post as it would be wasted energy and it is time for bed.
Please argue your point MKJ as I'm hardly agreeing with Bruv....maybe you should re-read.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.