Join for free
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2017, 11:04 AM

It's much too soon.....or is it?

I'm missing my pal so much......everywhere I turn there's a reminder...he really did brighten up our days and life(myself, mum and son)

Today I took some dog food to the local rescue centre and saw this.

I feel guilty for even considering it so soon after Henry.
I like having a dog around for a number of reasons...firstly the security they offer, with a disabled mum at home I feel easier if a dog is around and I go out.

Then there's the fun they bring with them.

I have a big house that needs filling, big gardens that need abusing....am I being irrational for even considering it?

I feel a bit guilty.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2017, 11:08 AM

Re: It's much too soon.....or is it?

I wouldn't blame you Terry, we only lasted a week when we lost our lab before Oscar arrived on the scene.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2017, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I wouldn't blame you Terry, we only lasted a week when we lost our lab before Oscar arrived on the scene.
Now I don't feel so bad

I grew up with dogs but never had one of my own until Henry...I never had the time up until last year.

Now I can offer the time and a nice loving home and there are lots of dogs(especially Staffies)that need homes....
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2017, 11:15 AM

I suppose everyone will have their own thoughts, but personally I would say, no, definitely not too soon to have another dog. The longest I have ever been without a dog in my life was two weeks, I swore I would never have another, it is much too painful when you lose them. However, that two weeks were awful, the house was dead, there just seemed to be no joy, so that was that, the next one arrived after the miserable two weeks.

It's very hard to lose them, quite often they are closer to us than human family. I have memory books for each of my dogs, photographs, little stories of their antics etc. They get looked at often, not only by us but by others who remember them. Worth thinking about, it can be quite a comfort.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2017, 11:16 AM

I see it this way if I hated my dog I'd never get another, if I tolerated it I might get one eventually but if I loved it I'd be honouring the memory of that love by getting a dog as soon as I could.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2017, 11:42 AM

We managed 3 months after Benny but they were 3 miserable empty sad months do what your heart says...Henry wouldn't mind. That's the magical thing about dogs they just love and understand.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2017, 11:47 AM

I feel guilty for even considering it so soon after Henry
Don't feel guilty Tpin.

It is never 'too soon' for me, since I was a child my life has not been complete without a dog.

You are not replacing one dog, that is not possible because they are all so different, you are filling an empty space in your life .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2017, 12:01 PM

You have to get that dog mate. Absolutely gorgeous. Just tell yourself that the new boy/girl is uncle 'Enery's younger cousin who needs looking after as he did. Don't feel guilty - go for it.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

27-06-2017, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
You have to get that dog mate. Absolutely gorgeous. Just tell yourself that the new boy/girl is uncle 'Enery's younger cousin who needs looking after as he did. Don't feel guilty - go for it.
He is a handsome devil.

Comes from a family with children but they had a third child and felt they couldn't give him the time he deserves.

He's not in the rescue centre he's still at home but the owners are desperate for a new home for him.

He's American Bull Dog cross Staffordshire
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2017, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I'm missing my pal so much......everywhere I turn there's a reminder...he really did brighten up our days and life(myself, mum and son)

Today I took some dog food to the local rescue centre and saw this.

I feel guilty for even considering it so soon after Henry.
I like having a dog around for a number of reasons...firstly the security they offer, with a disabled mum at home I feel easier if a dog is around and I go out.

Then there's the fun they bring with them.

I have a big house that needs filling, big gardens that need abusing....am I being irrational for even considering it?

I feel a bit guilty.
Not too soon Tpin.

It is a mark of the respect you had for Henry and of the love you shared that makes you want to choose another companion. You are not 'replacing' him - but enhancing the memory of your relationship with him and giving another dog the chance of happiness.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top