Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 06:00 PM

Train derails as it departs London Paddington station

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40991544

Passengers had to be evacuated from a train after it derailed while leaving Paddington station in London.

The rear power car of the Great Western Railway train partially left the track as it departed for Penzance in Cornwall shortly before midday.

A spokesperson for the rail firm said it was "travelling at extremely low speed" and no injuries were reported.

Platforms one and two are currently out of use while Network Rail investigates what happened.

It is the second time a train has derailed at a major London station in a week.

On Tuesday, a South West train left tracks after it hit a barrier train at Waterloo station causing major disruption for commuters.

On the same day, a Great Northern train crashed into buffers as it arrived at King's Cross.
3 "accidents" in ONE week .....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 06:04 PM

Re: Train derails as it departs London Paddington station

Yes I was surprised to hear about this as the waterloo incident was only the other day. I always feel safe on the train but maybe that's misguided.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 06:21 PM

I know several drivers mostly retired now and they tell me the latest units are not easy to drive. I have no idea of the technical reasons though.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 09:37 PM

This may be completely unrelated, but weren't IZAL threatening recently to derail trains as part of their terrorist activities?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 10:16 PM

I doubt they would be derailing trains in stations where there is CCTV & security everywhere. I was at King's cross at the weekend and there were armed police with machine guns and strangely one had a pair of scissors strapped to his bulletproof vest.

I put this down to cuts and lack of maintenance.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 10:48 PM

They have threatened to derail trains, which is rather worrying because there are not CCTV installations everywhere along the tracks.

It is even more worrying when you consider that it is not difficult to place a concrete block on a remote railway track under cover of darkness.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I was at King's cross at the weekend and there were armed police with machine guns and strangely one had a pair of scissors strapped to his bulletproof vest.

The pair of scissors were probably for the cuts.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 09:44 AM

I'd heard they were harder to drive too, especially on slow stretches of rail so I wondered if that had something to do with this.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 01:30 PM

Correct and NR had too many experienced staff leave, and now having to fast track new employees. Too much interference from Government does not help.
Titus
London
Titus is male  Titus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 03:35 PM

After 21 years I have taken Redundancy and early retirement from a train operator. Already offered a new position back at NR !

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top