Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 12:05 PM

Of all the stupid things...

...I was walking on the pavement on the way to the supermarket when I was confronted by a woman texting on her phone, shuffling zombie-like forwards. She also had a dog on a long leash going back and forward so there was no way to pass.

I said excuse me and she grudgingly made way for me.

People using their phones outside I don't get; what is so important that it can't wait until one is sitting down indoors?

I always keep my phone in my pocket and on the rare occasion that it rings whilst I'm out, I'll stop and stand at the side of the pavement as I answer it. Texting as I walk wouldn't occur to me.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 12:13 PM

Re: Of all the stupid things...

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
...I was walking on the pavement on the way to the supermarket when I was confronted by a woman texting on her phone, shuffling zombie-like forwards. She also had a dog on a long leash going back and forward so there was no way to pass.

People using their phones outside I don't get; what is so important that it can't wait until one is sitting down indoors?

I always keep my phone in my pocket and on the rare occasion that it rings whilst I'm out, I'll stop and stand at the side of the pavement as I answer it. Texting as I walk wouldn't occur to me.
Perhaps she was using the GPS, adding a reminder note to her diary, entering a phone number from a nearby sign, checking on location of the nearest post box, trying to find an ATM or vet; there are many reasons for accessing a phone in the street.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 12:14 PM

I have to agree Fosse. I wouldn't hurt for them to stand to one side a mo whilst using their phones.

I saw a very stupid woman the other day when I was driving home.
I had stopped at a zebra crossing for her, and she had got a baby in a buggy, and toddler running along next to her, and she was crossing the road with these two youngsters and gassing away on her mobile at the same time.
Hence she was also only pushing the buggy one handed let alone not holding on to the toddler in the road.

And don't even start me on extending dog leads on narrow pavements!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Perhaps she was using the GPS, adding a reminder note to her diary, entering a phone number from a nearby sign, checking on location of the nearest post box, trying to find an ATM or vet; there are many reasons for accessing a phone in the street.

I agree, BUT you can still stand to one side for a minute while doing it - and wind the dog in too.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 12:17 PM

Do as I do - when confronted by some idiot walking along the pavement with their head buried in their mobile 'phone, I stop and wait till they get within a foot or so of me and then tell them in a loud voice "head up, eyes front, look where you're going".
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree, BUT you can still stand to one side for a minute while doing it - and wind the dog in too.
Yep, true.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Do as I do - when confronted by some idiot walking along the pavement with their head buried in their mobile 'phone, I stop and wait till they get within a foot or so of me and then tell them in a loud voice "head up, eyes front, look where you're going".
I don't think I could muster up that level of politeness
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 01:46 PM

I can remember as a child/teen wandering around reading a book that I was so engrossed in I just couldn't put it down. I think people on their phones are a bit like that so I try not to get too cross with them.

Round here it's risky to use a phone on the street IMO as they are easily snatched. But my last trip to Guildford was an eye opener if they weren't head down in a phone, they were slurping a drink, or scoffing a burger. It was a shopping centre hardly anyone looking in Windows they were too into their food to bother with anything else.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

18-10-2017, 01:54 PM

Isn't phone-snatching on the decrease with passwords and bio-metric data making any stolen phone virtually useless?

No-one but me can use my iPhone or Apple Watch.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 02:34 PM

Isn't phone-snatching on the decrease with passwords and bio-metric data making any stolen phone virtually useless?

No-one but me can use my iPhone or Apple Watch.
Don't you believe it, market traders can unlock them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top