Join for free
Calcio2
EU ireland
Calcio2 is male  Calcio2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2017, 10:09 PM

only 2 years left in windows 7

yet another year nearly over,just to remind everyone that on january 14 2020,windows 7 will go the way of windows xp and vista before it,I think it might be wise to start looking at alternative operating systems for their computers in the next 12 months,Because that date will be on us in no time and you dont want to leave it to the last second only to find your pc/laptop is no longer supported and out of date. Since 2014 when xp lost support,internet explorer,google chrome,firefox,are no longer supported on it,I guess the same slow death will happen windows 7 over time and will become unsafe and vunerable to use. You have been warned.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2017, 10:16 PM

Re: only 2 years left in windows 7

Hang on a minute don't panic.

Just because the support is ending doesn't mean you can't have a firewall on your computer. There are good antivius progams that do the same job as windows updates.
If your happy with windows 7 then stay with it.
The only time to worry is when third parties no longer connect with windows 7

Calcio2, I really think you should point this out in your post.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2017, 08:53 AM

My old laptop is still running XP without any problems.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2017, 09:31 AM

Windows 7 will see me through to the end of my days.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2017, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Calcio2 ->
you dont want to leave it to the last second only to find your pc/laptop is no longer supported and out of date.

lol the Microsoft stooge is at it again ! AT least the 2nd thread now urging us to go to Windows 10.

You must be absolutely joking matey boy. Windows 10 is a platform totally controlled by Microsoft. The poor old User has no choice but to take and accept whatever system updates MS decide to send down the line.

It will become a platform of advertising, a platform of selling things to users, apps, products, services. Stage one is imo simply to get everyone on the basic platform that THEY can control and once done the big updates will start coming that will turn it in to their end game platform. Be warned.

Being on Windows 7 is absolutely fine.

Whether it is supported or not is of no consequence to the average home user. Most of us have devices around the house that are long since out of support. Digi boxes for Freeview, DVD players, CD players etc etc. They work perfectly.

Windows 7 was the last great stable opertaing system and crucially in Windows 7 THE USER is in control, rather than Microsoft.

In Windows 7 Microsoft CAN NOT force updates down the line to you. They can not bugger up your machine with updates. They can not change the look and feel of the whole opertaing system unless YOU, the USER specifically want that and accept any such updates.

I will be very happily sticking with Windows 7 for many many years to come thanks. Whether it goes out fo support is of no interest or consequence to me. It works just fine and WILL continue workign fine for years to come.

For sure, given the dispicable way that MS went about forcing W10 updates on everyone, we can expect some more nefarious tactics in the future. For example I expect them (in league with giants like Google and Amazon) to change websites so that things don't work well for Win 7 users. I expect that over time my internet experiences using Win 7 will differ from those people on W10.

The question that has to be considered is this.

Are all the companies who sell products and services likely to design their websites so that only Win 10 users can use them? No I very seriously doubt it. That would cut out a huge part of the market audience for them.

So fear not. Sit tight, stay on Windows 7, don't fall for the pathetic "campaign of fear" perpetrated by stooges.

They want control of YOUR PC/laptop.

Will you give up that control willingly?

I most certainly will not.

Each to their own. I have been in the IT business for over 30 years. Businesses will be forced to standardise on W10, no question about that, but those of you sitting at home can happily stay with Win 7.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it !
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2017, 12:30 PM

It bothers me not that Windows 7 will be unsupported. Will I notice any difference? No, support is shite anyway.
channeal
Sussex UK
channeal is female  channeal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2017, 12:59 PM

I have an 11-and-a-half year old Dell computer which was running XP until early this year when I finally gave in to all the people telling me how foolish I was and upgraded to Window 7 (I chose Windows 7 because I wasn't sure whether my computer would have taken Windows 10).

I don't know how long this computer wil last or if it will still be around when Windows 7 is no longer supported. I have to say though that - in spite of all the dire warnings about XP - I never had any problems whatsoever in the period of over two years when it was unsupported.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top