Join for free
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 08:10 PM

The Irish Border Problem

So. we have Southern Ireland, a willing member of the EU.
We have Northern Ireland.as part of the UK, who are in the process of leaving the EU.

So how does this work? We have the belligerent Irish Premier threatening to use it's veto if the Border with Northern Ireland is not kept open with no border checks.
We also have the DUP in Northern Ireland threatening not to back Theresa May's government if the border is closed.

If. as I suspect, the border remains open. where then will the border that separates us from the EU and unwanted illegal immigrants, begin? Will it be at the ports of Northern Ireland? thereby having a border in the midst of the UK? Surely they have to have a border somewhere? maybe in the middle of the sea between N.I. and the mainland?
The mind boggles.

Any idea anyone because it is puzzling me no end.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 09:49 PM

Re: The Irish Border Problem

We have no government in NI so whatever the DUP are saying , ignore
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 09:58 PM

1) The border will remain open and as it is now.
2) The word will soon get out to everyone who wants to take advantage of those stupid English that all one needs to do is fly to Dublin, hire a car, and drive to Belfast, and board a ferry to England.
3) The government (Which ever one is in power, doesn't matter they are all the same 'uman rights activists) will put out bland statements about checks on the ferries etc. etc.
4) They will catch about 10% on the ferries, the rest will end up in England (Some in Scotland & Wales but not many)
5) The status quo will be as now, huge amounts of welfare and housing money paid out to those who end up in London or other cities.

The Dublin Police and Immigration will adopt the same attitude as their counterparts in Calais, just look the other way when they go through Dublin security as long as they are not staying in the ROI it will not be their problem.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 10:14 PM

Didn't NI vote remain?

I wouldn't worry too much about the border staying open, because nobody from the EU will want to come here after Brexit anyway....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Didn't NI vote remain?

I wouldn't worry too much about the border staying open, because nobody from the EU will want to come here after Brexit anyway....
Hi

If the Border remains open there will be huge amounts of smuggling and VAT fraud going on.

This however is irrelevant to the main issue, which is simply this.

The Border between Northern and Southern Ireland has naff all to do with the EU, it is a problem to be resolved between the UK and Ireland.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

If the Border remains open there will be huge amounts of smuggling and VAT fraud going on.

This however is irrelevant to the main issue, which is simply this.

The Border between Northern and Southern Ireland has naff all to do with the EU, it is a problem to be resolved between the UK and Ireland.
Yes but Ireland is in the Eu.....

ref smuggling - do you think Brexit means that it won't go on Ireland aside?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Yes but Ireland is in the Eu.....

ref smuggling - do you think Brexit means that it won't go on Ireland aside?
Hi

The fact that Ireland is in the EU is irrelevant, the border has nothing to do with the EU.

The EU is busy imposing more border controls on it's other external borders , this is just an opportunistic grab by Ireland and should never have been part of the Article 50 negotiations.

It was stupid May who allowed it to be.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 04:43 AM

Seems to me the best opportunity to reunite Ireland - get rid of a constant thorn in Britain's side and a land border with the EU all in one go.

I suspect that is too obvious and too easy for it to actually happen
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 06:37 AM

The people of NI don't want to join with ther Republic .
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Seems to me the best opportunity to reunite Ireland - get rid of a constant thorn in Britain's side and a land border with the EU all in one go.

I suspect that is too obvious and too easy for it to actually happen
You must be a long way away if you think that's the solution.

As swimfeeders has already stated, The border is a bilateral issue between the UK and Ireland and not an EU issue that need concern the other 25 ; No more than the border between Norway and Sweden need concern us.

Uniting Ireland creates a different set of problems that the people don't wish to face. I think the concerns of 'THE PEOPLE' is of more relevance than the Eurocrats or Irish politicians clinging on to office.

As said before, The border should be between mainland Europe and Eire with joint British/Irish control. After all, The Irish are far more closely associated with The UK than the EU.. They ned to wake up and realise where their best interests lie.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top