Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 06:43 PM

shouted down

First of all this is not about anything on this site. I have to say that in case anyone thinks it is

Elsewhere the topic of getting products cheaper either from abroad or by other legal means ie grey imports

I happened to post, following on from an initial post by someone else, about making a huge saving on my last camera I bought.

Well what a torrant of abuse I got, not only saying I was depriving the government of tax or import duty, but even went as far as saying I was robbing and stealing from the government and taking work away from authorised retailers.

This is something I just don't understand, is it jealousy? on their part.

As far as I know if a product is advertised and legitimate then there is nothing wrong in purchasing that product at the advertised price. Just because it is being sold at a fraction of others selling the same product does not make it a "dodgy" purchase.

Sorry about the rant but it got under my skin that others on that site think i did something entirely wrong. Yet those same members put links to companies selling " grey" imports and that is ok.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
part of one reply quote " Not only does buying grey mean your robbing the government of the tax but also a UK business of the sale. "
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 06:52 PM

Re: shouted down

Barry - Just ignore them, in fact just post what you want to and let all the trolls and trouble makers argue among themselves.

Paying tax is like handing money to muggers, everyone who legally avoids paying it has my admiration.

My policy now is to post what I want to and NEVER return I really care not what others think and sure as hell am not going to change my view just because some lefty snowflake says it is wrong. They are the people who are wrong
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 06:56 PM

Ignore it Realspeed, Some people are never happy unless they are squawking at others. You buy what you want and if it's cheaper then it's cheaper.

Losos I totally agree..
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 06:59 PM

Thank you Losos and Roxy

just what I needed to read as it did upset me.
Although I say it myself, if I wasn't honest I would not have been employed by British telecom for over 20 years and they have a strict vetting proceedure before employing anyone. Nor would people trust us with their pets for 21 years with our pet boarding establishment.

To me they are basing their assumptions on themselves and applying it to all and sundry

You have both put my mind at ease, thanks again it means so much
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 07:02 PM

I will say one thing though.....If you posted about your camera on another forum, then learn from it and keep stoom next time you get a bargain.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

06-12-2017, 07:06 PM

good advice, I do try and let others know if a bargain is to be had, but as you say I won't be doing it again

I just don't understand what they are complaining about, but that is their problem not mine
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

06-12-2017, 07:12 PM

Yep sure is.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 07:16 PM

Well that's what tinternet is for, buying stuff cheaper, good for you, mind you it made me chuckle about robbing the govt, you'd have to go some to do that,.. If they didn't impose heavy taxes on goods, we wouldn't need to buy stuff from abroad
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

06-12-2017, 07:30 PM

Oh if you don't know what a "grey" import is then I will tell you.

It is a legitimate import being sold cheaper from unauthorised manufactures retail outlets. These are sourced often from different countries that have low or no import/export duties or taxes

The products are exactly the same but not supplied with a manufactures warranty, the "grey" importer often offer their own warranty instead as a back to base repair.

The goods are initially a lot cheaper to purchase and therefore imported at a lower price which reduces import duty and cost to the consumer

So nothing illegal, but members on that other site say it is wrong
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 08:35 PM

You stand a very good chance of buying a pig �� in a poke though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top