Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 04:23 PM

Snow on the way.

Hi

The local news is full of it, it is going to start snowing tonight, 2 inches forecast here, 6 inches on the hills.

Why is it that even a minimum amount of snow means chaos to our transport systems when other countries cope with it so much better?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 04:37 PM

Re: Snow on the way.

Probably because we don't get much of it anymore ... when we do we react like shocked bunnies caught in the headlights.

I think there's a bag of rock salt in my shed. I suppose, been an ex-Girl Guide, I ought to go and drag it to a handy spot. Alongside my snow shovel and ice picks.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The local news is full of it, it is going to start snowing tonight, 2 inches forecast here, 6 inches on the hills.

Why is it that even a minimum amount of snow means chaos to our transport systems when other countries cope with it so much better?
Can always emigrate to Russia, they know how to deal with snow and ice.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It certainly feels like snow, I have just returned from a walk across the fields with eyes steaming from the Northerly wind.

We only need an inch of snow here to be cut off we are on a no through road with a hill up to the main road and the gritters pass us by.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 04:44 PM

First snow where my parents live: A dusting of snow with school and road closures, warnings blaring across media and on television. People warned to stay inside, get supplies, ensure they have heat.

Final snow of the season: Blizzard with sustained gale force winds, ten inches, on the ground for weeks, schools and business are open...it's just like another summer day:

Scroll down and press play on the video:
https://www.rt.com/news/410782-siber...izzard-school/
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Probably because we don't get much of it anymore ... when we do we react like shocked bunnies caught in the headlights.

I think there's a bag of rock salt in my shed. I suppose, been an ex-Girl Guide, I ought to go and drag it to a handy spot. Alongside my snow shovel and ice picks.
I brought in some rock salt yesterday, given the forecast for the next few days. I have steps down from my back door to the decking - then out to the bins. I have had several falls in past winters, so not taking any chances this year. I keep a large plastic box with salt under the sink, ready for throwing out. I also topped up the dog's food container from the bin in the garage, then I dont need to go outside.

I live on top of a steep hill, so am marooned in ice and snow.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I have had several falls in past winters, so not taking any chances this year.
Wise girl ... it's no fun and can be very painful, and dangerous, trying to slither along on frozen snow.
I've ended up on my butt more than once. Worst was when I cracked my head on the pavement when I went down. I saw black stars with that one.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 04:50 PM

90% heavy snow for my area on Sunday...
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 04:51 PM

I live half way down a steep hill,on a blind bend,,,,the salt is at the top and bottom,none at all on the bend
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

07-12-2017, 04:51 PM

The MET office do seem to be extending the coverage area .. and stretching it into a four day blizzard blast now.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top