Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2017, 12:42 AM

Pets & Hurricanes

Do you remember Hurricane Katrina back in 2005 in the USA?
I have just been reading about the number of animals left behind when people fled.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals estimated 250,000 dogs and cats were displaced or died.

Nowadays people are allowed to take their animals, but they weren't back then. In the floods and winds, dogs were left tied to trees and posts, and even left shut in crates with no access to food or water should they survive.

Later, when Hurricane Irma, Harvey and other subsequent storms were coming, officials in Florida reported numerous pets tethered to trees and cars when residents evacuated.
Palm Beach County Animal Care & Control later said they would be pursuing criminal charges against owners who tied up their abandoned dogs.

Rescue officials now stress the importance of evacuees taking their pets, and an act was brought in in 2006 requires assistance to accommodate pets of residents facing disasters.

We are fortunate here, in that we don't usually experience such terrible hurricanes, but I can't even imagine ever dumping my dogs and scarpering without them, let alone tying them up before I went! Could you?

Thank God that while most people flee for safety, the animal rescue people now head straight for the affected areas to help those who couldn't help themselves.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2017, 08:17 AM

Re: Pets & Hurricanes

Where I lived previous was flooded - Dec 1979 - and we were all supposed to evacuate our homes. I refused to go because we weren't supposed to take our pets. No way would I have left my terrified cat to deal with his home being flooded.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2017, 09:51 AM

Re: Pets & Hurricanes

It's often the same with car breakdowns Tabs.
I phoned my insurers and asked them if I broke down on the road somewhere, although I have breakdown cover, what if they couldn't mend the car and had to tow it, would they take my dogs home with me as well?

They said it would be "at the driver's discretion."

Well I can see me sitting on a grass verge all night then, because I wouldn't go without them.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top