Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 06:10 AM

Incident at the vet office

Sorry, this is longer than intended, But I did try and break it up!

First, I must say I like our vet. A lot. He is always up front, and explains everything that's done and why.

When we said our goodbyes to our old boy Rollie three weeks ago, he was wearing a harness. This one:

That harness made his last few months a lot easier - for him and us.
After our boy left us, and before we left the clinic, Grant asked about the harness, and was told they would take care of it, and we could get it when we picked up Rollie's urn.
I, of course, did not want to leave our boy there. I felt like I was deserting him, but was told they would look after him.

Today, Grant picked up Rollie's urn.
No harness. He was told it wasn't there, and our boy was most likely cremated with the harness still on.
He mumbled something, he doesn't remember what as he was a tidge upset to say the least.

There's no way that harness was still on our boy when he was cremated. Nobody could miss it - multiple black straps on white and tan fur are very, very noticeable.
(Our Jiggs was cremated at the end of May - they took his regular collar off no problem.)

I am so, so upset about the whole thing. We entrusted our boy to their care, and they've screwed it up. Big and bad.
No professionalism whatsoever.

The harness is of very good quality and was not cheap (CAN$140 + taxes & shipping).
I have no proof, but am inclined to believe somebody has 'acquired' it.
I cannot let this go, I need to make it right somehow, in Rollie's memory, and of course, for myself. Otherwise I will always associate this incident with his memory. Not nice.

Right now, I'm really not bothered whether the harness cost $10 or $500. I am bothered that this happened, that they didn't look after our boy as promised.
Am I wrong in asking they look again for it in the hopes it's been misplaced, and if not, ask for reimbursement? I don't think it should just be 'let go'.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 07:19 AM

Re: Incident at the vet office

I agree, LMBs, you need to find out what happened to the harness - not for any financial reason but for your own peace of mind and for Rollie.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 07:30 AM

get them to look for it again,it would have been taken off,theres metal on the harness that wouldn't have burnt,,,go ask again,,good luck
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 07:41 AM

Thanks ST and Doc.
I'm obviously very emotional just losing Rollie, let alone adding this to it, so was concerned about over-reacting.
And thank you for understanding it's not about the money.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 08:00 AM

That's terrible Lovemyboys, ask your Vet to look again and explain to him why you want the Harness back.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 08:34 AM

It is also a matter of principle, LMB. And how can anyone think that cremating a pet with a harness still attached was acceptable?

Pursue it, vigorously, and let's hope whoever is 'taking care of it' suffers a crisis of conscience and brings it back. However, is the cremation section a separate business to the vet, as in, do they have no say in what happens there?

Sorry for your loss, and I do hope some questions are answered soon. Sending hugs.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada

14-12-2017, 09:00 AM

I plan on doing something now Susie. Thank you.

Jazzi - it was a private cremation done by the only shelter in town, so yes a separate business.
I do not believe however that the shelter has responsibility for the pets, other than the cremation - it's up to the vet clinic to make sure everything is in order.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 09:17 AM

sorry for the loss of your dog and whats happening now .

I would ask the Cremation service directly what they did with the harness , If they were at all proffesional they would have taken it off .
I had my last dog cremated and She was laid out for viewing for us to say our last goodbye , they were most caring ..
I cannot think anyone has helped themselves to it .probably one of those things where its been misplaced or wrongly thought you didnt want its return .
Dont let it take over your grieving for your dog ...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 10:46 AM

Grieving of a pet that is no longer with us only natural, and have done that many times. Worrying about a harness won't bring him back and only prolong the agony.

Keep the memories of the good times and any photos as a reminder.
We have always got another dog as quickly as possible and usually had 3 or 4 running about the home.

So maybe getting another dog will help, it certainly has done for us for the past 45 years.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 11:13 AM

I think it's awful they have lost it but I'm not sure getting into a tussle over it will help you grieve your beautiful boy. Is it really so important ? I doubt it was cremated with him, but it could genuinely just have been lost at the vets or at the crematorium. Your vet sounds lovely and it wouldn't surprise me if they were upset at having to let him go too. People that are upset do things and make mistakes doing them. I think I'd chalk it up to someone being upset and forgetting where they put it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top