Join for free
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 12:42 AM

Toby Young

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...quiry-launched

PM should have sacked him.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 01:08 AM

Re: Toby Young

Where is the outrage against John McDonnell with his remarks about lynching Esther McVey? Why has he not been condemned by fellow Labour MPs? This is in addition to his comments about killing Margaret Thatcher, comments which were met with gales of laughter from his cohorts.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7328876.html
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...quiry-launched

PM should have sacked him.

She did, or rather he was 'leaned on rather heavily' and pursuaded to resign.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 11:22 AM

My interest in this is had he changed ? I'm very uncomfortable saying he should have resigned or not got the job if he had genuinely changed ? I was unaware of him before the furore and I can't seem to find out when the remarks he made were ? If they were years ago and he has a proven track record of having changed then I think that has to be taken into consideration. Otherwise we need to ban 14-25 year olds from Internet as they don't have a filter and say things to shock and get attention and could make themselves unemployable in God future.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
My interest in this is had he changed ? I'm very uncomfortable saying he should have resigned or not got the job if he had genuinely changed ? I was unaware of him before the furore and I can't seem to find out when the remarks he made were ? If they were years ago and he has a proven track record of having changed then I think that has to be taken into consideration. Otherwise we need to ban 14-25 year olds from Internet as they don't have a filter and say things to shock and get attention and could make themselves unemployable in God future.
Read all about him here Julie darlin', although the article was extensively consored and deleted large tracts of information about his political ideas. Suffice to say he was a supporter of eugenics - something the Nazis were also heavily into.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toby_Y...iki/Toby_Young
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 11:57 AM

I'm always nervous of wiki on these occasions Uj it's easy to edit it yourself or your detractors to do it.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

12-01-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm always nervous of wiki on these occasions Uj it's easy to edit it yourself or your detractors to do it.

Hence the warning at the beginning of the article Julie darlin'
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 12:26 PM

Why should man lose or be made to resign his current position on the grounds of a few injudicious or offensive remarks made some years ago? It doesn't make him any less qualified.

If that is the case we are heading toward a country where we are governed by colourless characters who have never had strong opinions and don't care about anything. How many on here I wonder have said things in the past which would now be viewed as suspect?

If we use the same criteria, the owner of this site would perhaps be prompted to suspend certain posters for the offensive language they use, and continue to use. But then where would we be with regard to freedom of speech.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 12:28 PM

I can't actually find what he said. Wasn't he a food critic or something? I remember seeing him with his family in a café near Hampstead Heath.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 06:13 PM

Does this mean Toby won't be seen on the BBC anymore on such things as Newsnight, This Week, The Daily Politics and Question Time?

If so, why didn't they ban him years ago. No twitter campaigns I suppose.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top