Join for free
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 04:14 PM

World In Action

Most of us will remember World In Action.. There's a whole series of them on Youtube, which I'm sure if we knew then what we know now, things may have been different.

This one about called the 'Blood and Guts Shift' was televised in 1975. Filmed in Liverpool at one of the city hospitals /A& E department. The time when we didn't seem to have any complaints about the NHS.
Population 1975 UK , 56.25 million although I can't find the population for L'pool at the time but it's approx. 500,000 now.
Population 2017 UK, 66.55 million.

Ten million over the whole of the country I wouldn't have thought would have increased the strain on the NHS as it is apparently doing so. This video show it is all very relaxed to put it mildly, and quaint considering we lived through these times!

There's a bit of gore on this video, but not too much and I apologise for not being able to post the video in the correct manner (don't know how to) There are also others to watch from the side bar if you should be interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUqA...W-PKQEHRMfVmLA
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 05:36 PM

Re: World In Action

Concerning the NHS Puddle Duck, I think the increase in the population is only a part of the story.
(1) There is a larger number of older members in the population now.

(2) There are more treatments available, so people visit the hospitals more regularly.

(3) With less supporting amenities more people are occupying beds for longer.

(4) Hospitals are taking over the role of Doctors Surgeries.

(5) Doctors don't make house calls anymore so the sick go to hospital instead.

(6) Hospitals are dealing with a wider variety of illnesses. Weight loss surgery and dentistry. As well as smokers we now have the obese. At least smokers paid loads of tax to offset cost...

(7) The list of new procedures is endless now including:- Hip, knee and other replacement surgery, breast enlargement/reduction, Heart surgery including Bypass and stent placement. A wide variety of cancer treatments.

(8) Scanners and other non invasive inspection that wasn't around in the seventies.

(9) Pound for pound, less money spent on the NHS by the all governments.

(10) Poorly paid and overworked staff.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 12:58 AM

Re: World In Action

Yes, OGF I agree with all of your points, but my focus was on the A & E , depicted in the video. How much it has changed from just 2 staff working on a Saturday night .

One thing that does get my goat now, is that we are back again to being told how the population getting older is costing more and holding up the works etc.

Yes, that is true, BUT we didn't hear anything about that particular problem when they had put the 'Liverpool Pathway' scheme in place. Modern day involuntary act of euthanasia.

Once that was taken off the agenda, (for many reasons that have never truly been divulged ) now we are back to the oldies getting the blame again.. whilst they continue to encourage us to have a better life style to help us live longer . Very confusing !

In our local surgery there are 11 doctors and 30 admin staff. Open four and a half days a week, with a hospital in walking distance of 5 mins. It's all up the spout..

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top