Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 01:35 PM

Home schooling

If I have posted this topic before I apologise.

I home schooled our adopted Down's Syndrome son, who is quite severely mentally disabled, as we weren't happy with the education offered him by the schools. I regularly called in the school inspectors to see I was doing a good job. They declared themselves more than satisfied with the way I was teaching our lad, now nearly 33.

My middle daughter home schools her two boys 16 and 13. The eldest has Asperger's syndrome and found school hard going, even though he is highly intelligent. He has taken all his GCSE exams early and passed then with flying colours. He is going to teach himself his 'A' level, maths, physics and chemistry as his Mum isn't up to doing that. He is more than capable of teaching himself. His younger brother has atypical dyslexia, which affects his reading and maths ability, even though he is a bright lad. The school wasn't meeting his needs and he is doing better at home, although he does get the help of tutors as well, paid for by his senile old granny, LOL!

They have plenty of chance to meet up with other young people as they have outside activities and lots of friends.

Has anyone else home schooled their children?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 01:44 PM

Re: Home schooling

I was home schooled for a short period when I was little. Well done, you for doing such a good job with your son.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 02:39 PM

Well done if you managed it so well T. It's something worries me though when I see how popular it's getting.

I wouldn't want to attempt it Gracie is far too intelligent for me to ruin her chances. I can only marvel at how advanced she is and only a decent school can do that.

I'm curious if school had been easier for yours would you still have done it ?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 02:54 PM

I am not sure about home schooling .
Children miss out on the social aspects of school but everyone has the right to do what they think is best for their child.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I am not sure about home schooling .
Children miss out on the social aspects of school but everyone has the right to do what they think is best for their child.
Our grandson with Aspergers found the social aspects of school very hard to cope with. He was often teased as he preferred to get on with his schoolwork than mix with other kids.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 03:12 PM

I used to get bullied about wanting to do my school work when I was around 12, 13, but I persisted.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 03:15 PM

My husband has aspergers he was horribly bullied at school but if he hadn't gone to school I doubt he'd have held down jobs like he has. I'm no fan of bullying but school made him more able to cope with people in real life.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

24-02-2018, 03:18 PM

It was also the fact that I hated games every Tuesday afternoon, that, plus the corporal punishment I sometimes received. The bullying stopped after a while, though.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

24-02-2018, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
My husband has aspergers he was horribly bullied at school but if he hadn't gone to school I doubt he'd have held down jobs like he has. I'm no fan of bullying but school made him more able to cope with people in real life.
Our grandson seems to cope a bit better now he is older. He is going with a slightly older friend on a trans rail trip around Europe in June. He is train mad, and is the Admin for a train enthusiast's website!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-02-2018, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Our grandson seems to cope a bit better now he is older. He is going with a slightly older friend on a trans rail trip around Europe in June. He is train mad, and is the Admin for a train enthusiast's website!
That's good T I looked back and thought it sounded like I disagreed with your home schooling but I was really meaning aspergers is a huge spectrum of degrees so what suits one won't suit another.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top