Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 05:31 PM

Do you remember the Coronation 1953?

I am reading a novel set in 1953 & they are talking about what to do for the Coronation.
It got me thinking about what happened that day, but all I can remember is all the neighbours coming to watch the Coronation on our little TV, I think we had the only TV set at our end of the road. All were squashed like sardines in our not big living room & us kids, there were several, couldn't see much from where we were sat on the floor. The screen was tiny, a box on the floor. I don't remember if there was a street party or anything else.

So, if you are old enough to remember what did you do that day?
Tezza
Kent
Tezza is male  Tezza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 05:37 PM

Re: Do you remember the Coronation 1953?

As I remember I didn’t do any more than I usually did. It was a couple of weeks later that our school trooped us all off to a local cinema, where we watched the coronation and the conquering of Everest.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 05:37 PM

all in neighbours watching a 9 inch tv lol,as you say all cramed in,,,no street party,but at school was given a coronation spoon,and a medallion
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 05:41 PM

I remember it well. I was three at the time; my maternal grandmother, who lived with us, was looking after me as my mother was in the maternity hospital having just given birth to the first of my three sisters. Our island had put on water carnival to celebrate the Coronation. I was woken up when it was dark, and taken by my father and grandmother to the harbour to watch it. I remember a chap diving into a pond which was surrounded by flames.
cbrown372
Scotland
cbrown372 is female  cbrown372 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 05:42 PM

I still have my coronation mug which we all got at school. They were packed in a large basket and we went up individually to take one from the basket.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 05:42 PM

We were in the crowd who lined the Mall waiting for the procession to pass.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tezza ->
As I remember I didn’t do any more than I usually did. It was a couple of weeks later that our school trooped us all off to a local cinema, where we watched the coronation and the conquering of Everest.
Don't remember doing that.Don't think they did.

Originally Posted by doctor ->
all in neighbours watching a 9 inch tv lol,as you say all cramed in,,,no street party,but at school was given a coronation spoon,and a medallion
We did get Coronation glass tumblers though, through school. I still have mine, it's a pretty blue.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

24-02-2018, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I remember it well. I was three at the time; my maternal grandmother, who lived with us, was looking after me as my mother was in the maternity hospital having just given birth to the first of my three sisters. Our island had put on water carnival to celebrate the Coronation. I was woken up when it was dark, and taken by my father and grandmother to the harbour to watch it. I remember a chap diving into a pond which was surrounded by flames.
That must have been exciting to watch as a three year old.

Originally Posted by cbrown372 ->
I still have my coronation mug which we all got at school. They were packed in a large basket and we went up individually to take one from the basket.
We got glass tumblers.

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
We were in the crowd who lined the Mall waiting for the procession to pass.
I saw trooping the colour, several times, with the Queen riding a horse, but not the Coronation procession, guess because my little brother was too young to go.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 05:55 PM

Nope, I was t-minus 11 years old
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
That must have been exciting to watch as a three year old.

We got glass tumblers.

I saw trooping the colour, several times, with the Queen riding a horse, but not the Coronation procession, guess because my little brother was too young to go.

It was exciting, I remember all the boats lit up and decorated.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top