Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 10:24 AM

cameras keep or sell???

When a lot of money is spent, and I am talking 4 figure sums, on an expensive camera new with little use and the value has dropped to £200/£300 do you keep it or sell it.

This is my dilemma. Having not only the camera but lens -batteries -grips - special grip additions for longer lasting batteries and charger.

Is it really worth selling or keeping with already having 2 newer cameras anyway. I tend to get attached sentimentally to things like this.

The way i see it is that it is still worth more to me than what I would get for it. if someone offered a decent price then maybe but????

Sorry this has been running through my mind for some time and I just can't make a decission
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 10:37 AM

Re: cameras keep or sell???

Hi

The longer you keep it the less it will be worth with newer models coming out.

You have upgraded yours, so do other people, it is only continuing to lose money.

It is only worth what others will pay.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 10:46 AM

You are so right which is one reason for me to keep, it is still a great camera.
Can't really see the point in virtually giving away something worth more to me.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 10:55 AM

Do you still use them realspead?

Technology moves on so fast that second hand become nearly worthless

Many moons ago I bought one of the first generation digital cameras , just a point and shoot, cost me £500 which was a lot of money. Its a big brick, weighs a ton and no one would want it. But whilst its ancient and phones take better pictures nowadays, I cant bring myself to throw it out because it cost me so much at the time

So its tucked away in a drawer , totally unloved and I will one of these days bite the bullet and stick it in the charity shop bag

Mum has £000'S of pounds worth of camera equipment , also sitting in a drawer gathering dust. She now cant carry them or hold them steady, she too holds on to them because they cost so much, even though they are so dated
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
You are so right which is one reason for me to keep, it is still a great camera.
Can't really see the point in virtually giving away something worth more to me.
Hi

Some years ago I got myself a 16 metre pole for competition fishing.

Complete with spare tops etc it cost £2800.

I can now buy a lighter, stiffer and stronger one for around half that, much more suited to my needs.

I can sell the old one for around £500 now, far better than have it hanging around not being used and losing more money on it.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 12:11 PM

Sell it - you already mentioned that you have 2 systems and that you aren't getting any use out of it, despite its choosing a lot of money at the time.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 01:15 PM

D o what i did, i passed my old gear on to someone who loved photography but because of his circumstances could never afford such equipment. 11 years on and he is still using it to provide some great images.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 02:52 PM

I've still got my old Pentax camera, one you actually put film in, no idea why except it got shoved in a draw when I went digital. Digital castoffs went to Daughter & Son, who still had my last castoff.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 07:05 PM

Realspeed, I don’t know what to advise but I still have my Praktica MTL 3 camera!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top