Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 08:25 PM

Evening walk

My husband and I have just been on a beautiful evening walk with our dog. We are fortunate enough to have a lovely lake and park on our doorstep and there is a wood to stroll through, the dog loves it because he can go off the lead when no other dogs are around.

The ducks and swans were swimming on the lake, the ice cream van had a very long queue, the children were squealing with delight playing on the swings and slide on the recreation area. Flowers, shrubs and bushes were blooming, the sun was out, oh it was lovely, it's things like this that remind me how wonderful life can be.

There was one thing that really saddened me about my walk tonight. My dog is a very happy, friendly little chap and loves children and adults alike and likes to go up to them wagging his tail. I live a heavily populated muslim area of Yorkshire and there were adults flinching, panicking and the little children screamed and ran away if my little dog neared them. I tried to watch where I was walking but the park was packed so it's not always easy to avoid people. I do tell the children my dog won't hurt them but it falls on deaf ears as the adults must have taught the children that dogs are bad things. I find it so sad that the children won't ever know how wonderful it can be to have a dog to love and have fun with. But, this is their life and how the culture is, I do accept that but it doesn't stop me feeling sad about it.

Other than that I have had the most loveliest of evenings and I'm buggered now, oh well, I'll think of the calories I burned lol.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 08:39 PM

Re: Evening walk

Yes it's usually the same people who squeal and draw their legs up if Holly so much as looks at them when they are sitting on a bus stop bench. I just grin and pull her away. Most people are amused by her antics, so it's not all bad.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 08:46 PM

Glad you had a nice walk. There was an amazing sunset here and they say we are in for a few weeks of lovely weather.

I used to have this happen with Teddy but not for a while. It seems some muslim parents teach their kids that dogs are "haram" so that they don't go up to them, but then others love dogs. So I get really confused if I see people dressed in islamic outfits.

I've had a lady in full robes jump up on a park bench screaming to high heaven as my lovely dog went to say hello, I've had kids screaming, he really frightened an old man with a long white beard, but then others go up to him so go figure. It's more a culture thing in some countries although there are some writings to say dogs are bad but cats are good.

Apparently it's just black dogs that are bad. Now mine is blonde, but somewhere down the line it got translated by some cultures into "all dogs are bad" . I assume this must have been because of rabies or infection back in medieval times.

But yes some muslims adore dogs so you cannot predict what will happen. But it's the same as some people who are non muslims. I never know how they will react if he is too friendly. Some people have a dog phobia. I wish they would wear a badge so we could avoid them!
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 08:58 PM

I wonder if they show the same stupidity when dogs from non muslim countries are used to find their loved ones in the rubble of their earthquakes.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 09:42 PM

I'm not sure about weeks of good weather; from Sunday onwards it's predicted to be 11c and raining here for the foreseeable future.

I didn't notice the weather today although it did reach 20c.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I'm not sure about weeks of good weather; from Sunday onwards it's predicted to be 11c and raining here for the foreseeable future.

I didn't notice the weather today although it did reach 20c.
Yeah Ffosse, its forecast a lovely day here tomorrow then flipping rain again all weekend *sigh*
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 10:33 PM

We go out early in the morning so only ever meet other dogs and owners.Even dog people can be a bit wary of other dogs until they know them.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 11:10 PM

I have to say I am far more worried when I spot a dog from afar than any human being who may have dog phobias. Doggy confrontations are no fun at all.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

19-04-2018, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
We go out early in the morning so only ever meet other dogs and owners.Even dog people can be a bit wary of other dogs until they know them.
Of course I know this. I was just sad about the amount of people I had to keep my dog away from which for the most part were Muslim people
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 06:04 AM

I was told that muslims regard dogs as dirty creatures and not to be allowed in the house. If they kept one at all - as a guard dog or something - then it had to live outside. Not being a muslim I am not sure how true that is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top