Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 08:59 AM

Incurable yet treatable

That is the prognosis for my non-Hodgkins's Lymphoma.

I preferred it when I had Hodgkin's Lymphoma - that could be cured and in my case I believed it was.

Now I face an uncertain future with no real sign of how many months/years I may have left. I'll be 52 in July, and if I was to live 'til 60 I still wouldn't fancy any of it like it is now - treatment, chemo, CT Scans, MRI scans, radiotherapy - it doesn't feel like I have any quality of life and I don't want years of that.

Of course, they could come up with a miracle cure but I doubt it in the time I have left. Meanwhile my condition and chemo leaves me more prone not just to infections but to heart disease and stroke.

I don't really enjoy any of my life - I'm happiest when I'm asleep (and this I still can although it's often truncated).
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 09:13 AM

Re: Incurable yet treatable

I'm so sorry Ffosse it's difficult to know what to say to you except I'm sure even in your situation you will have good and bad days. Treasure those good days, I hope you have people around you who will offer support ...keep posting here for support too...biggest hugs.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 09:22 AM

I am so sorry to hear this Fflosse .
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 09:29 AM

Very sorry, all I can do is send my love and prayers that the doctors are able to manage any pain you may have and you can enjoy lots more days yet. Other than that I agree with what summer says.my heart goes out to you. Xxx
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 09:59 AM

So sorry to hear this Ffosse.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 10:45 AM

Ffosse this is a definition of incurable cancer.....

Can you live with incurable cancer?
Some cancers are considered curable. ... In fact, a cancer can be considered incurable but quite treatable. Thanks to new and innovative developments in cancer treatment, patients can live a long time with cancer—and "with" is the key word here. Patients with chronic cancer are living with it, not dying from it.

Some reports say you can live as much as 20 years with NHL....so don't lose hope
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 11:07 AM

I'm not in a lot of pain and I have medication for that, anyway. It's just that coupled with my MH issues (Panic disorder, Depression, Bi-Polar), it seems like a lot to be dealing with.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 11:25 AM

Ffosse, I know you are struggling and you do have a lot to deal with but I hope you can keep positive. As Twink says, you could, and probably have, many years ahead of you and maybe when your current course of treatment ends you will be able to take a bit of time off and recover from all the side effects. You are still a young man and have a lot of living to do, so chin up my friend!
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Ffosse this is a definition of incurable cancer.....

Can you live with incurable cancer?
Some cancers are considered curable. ... In fact, a cancer can be considered incurable but quite treatable. Thanks to new and innovative developments in cancer treatment, patients can live a long time with cancer—and "with" is the key word here. Patients with chronic cancer are living with it, not dying from it.

Some reports say you can live as much as 20 years with NHL....so don't lose hope
Thanks Twink, I find that very encouraging!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I'm not in a lot of pain and I have medication for that, anyway. It's just that coupled with my MH issues (Panic disorder, Depression, Bi-Polar), it seems like a lot to be dealing with.
I do understand that these problems will make you feel down, but while you are still alive there will always be something that makes you smile, or feel happy.

Only you will know what captures you attention, so try to do things that interest you and can take your mind off your suffering. Even simple things, like doing a jig saw or playing a computer game, can take your mind off your worries and that will help you feel much better than constantly worrying about your next treatment & how you are going to get to the hospital for it.
If you are feeling so down, why not ask if there is an NHS counsellor that you cant talk to?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top