Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 10:08 AM

I bought a TV

This is a big deal for me as the last TV I had some 7 years ago I hardly watched; days, then weeks would go by without my switching it on.

However, I've been ill and am still ill. I enjoyed watching TV in hospital so perhaps, I thought, there might be a few things on its various freeview channels and apps that I might enjoy. Plus I can still watch Netflix on it. I'll have to buy a licence (which I resent) but a necessary evil.

I ordered a Sony from Argos which is arriving this afternoon - just a 32" (my last TV was 22"), but it's supposed to have all the smarts to connect to my wi-fi and let me do other things too. My living room isn't big anyway. I'm already picturing where I'm going to place it.

One good thing - I know all modern TVs have dreadful sound but I have a Sony Hi-Fi which hardly gets used so I'll be able to hook that up to it for some decent sound. I wanted a set that could record onto a USB HDD and this model has that function.

I'm quite excited, this could keep me company while I'm sick and I want to watch the World Cup and tennis which both start soon.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 10:54 AM

Re: I bought a TV

Nice, you’ll find TVs have come a long way in such a short space of time, are they setting it up for you? If not don’t worry it’s a painless process or the tv might even do it for you, just follow the prompts, enjoy your tv.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 11:00 AM

I imagine I'll be watching it tonight but it will take me some time before I come to know all its features. It's only HD, not 4K but I imagine 4K would be wasted on a 32" screen and I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I imagine I'll be watching it tonight but it will take me some time before I come to know all its features. It's only HD, not 4K but I imagine 4K would be wasted on a 32" screen and I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference.
Problem with 4K is not many broadcast in it anyway, I think sky do one channel, so unless you have a 4K source( DVD player ect) you won’t see the benefit of 4k I think it’s all ultra high def now anyway, your hd tv will be just fine..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
This is a big deal for me as the last TV I had some 7 years ago I hardly watched; days, then weeks would go by without my switching it on.

However, I've been ill and am still ill. I enjoyed watching TV in hospital so perhaps, I thought, there might be a few things on its various freeview channels and apps that I might enjoy. Plus I can still watch Netflix on it. I'll have to buy a licence (which I resent) but a necessary evil.

I ordered a Sony from Argos which is arriving this afternoon - just a 32" (my last TV was 22"), but it's supposed to have all the smarts to connect to my wi-fi and let me do other things too. My living room isn't big anyway. I'm already picturing where I'm going to place it.

One good thing - I know all modern TVs have dreadful sound but I have a Sony Hi-Fi which hardly gets used so I'll be able to hook that up to it for some decent sound. I wanted a set that could record onto a USB HDD and this model has that function.

I'm quite excited, this could keep me company while I'm sick and I want to watch the World Cup and tennis which both start soon.

Best idea you've had for a long time Ffosse.
Didn't we suggest this some while back?
As you say, it will keep you company and will be a good distraction from your ills for a while.
Hope you find plenty to entertain you.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

27-05-2018, 12:10 PM

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it's arrival and have already moved my hi-fi to underneath where the TV will sit.

They said between 2pm and 6 - I've found Argos quite good with their times in the past. I paid £3.99 for delivery which is worth it as i could never get up there and back with a 7kg TV and other items.

I bought an amplified indoor TV aerial (I had one of these last time and wish I hadn't thrown it out) plus a 5 plug wall lead as I'll need this too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 12:13 PM

Can you set it up and tune it all in yourself, or is someone coming to do that?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 12:35 PM

Great idea Dreamy. We have so many channels these days. Something for everyone.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

27-05-2018, 12:38 PM

Oh, I can do it myself - some things I'll find confusing at first but, as with any electronics, I'll learn.

Only thing I'm slightly worried about is that in a couple of reviews people mentioned that the screws were missing for the stand but hopefully I'll get mine.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 12:48 PM

Great move, Ffosse. Imagine all those YouTube concerts of singer-songwriters of the 70's. Nice one

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top