Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 06:57 PM

Eulogy

As you may know my MIL died last week and my Husband and his Brother has asked me to write an Eulogy for them and give it to the Vicar to read out. I'm having real problems with it.

Has any one written an Eulogy for their Mum before? If so, could you give me an example.

Susie
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 08:33 PM

Re: Eulogy

I haven't written one but have heard several.
The best ones focus on family stories, happy memories and describing the character of the person, even sometimes when they've been naughty or disagreeable, that can often bring a smile.

Perhaps you could get some ideas from her friends and other family members of fond memories.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 08:43 PM

Just say what a good mother she was. Mention the funny /nice things she did for your husband & his siblings also their partners & grandchildren, & their memories of her. once you decide what to write read it ou to yourself ,if its too long cut out a few items, if its not long enough add something more.Im sure you will manage very well
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Just say what a good mother she was. Mention the funny /nice things she did for your husband & his siblings also their partners & grandchildren, & their memories of her. once you decide what to write read it ou to yourself ,if its too long cut out a few items, if its not long enough add something more.Im sure you will manage very well
This is perfect and similar to one I put together about my dad, which I read out myself.
It's not too difficult once you get going.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 05:38 AM

What a touching endeavor, Susie. I think it's very special that it will be coming from you.

The best eulogy I ever heard was for the mother of my friend. It was comprised of stories that centered around her kitchen and the coffee pot. The kids retold their memories of the people (strangers, family members, neighbors, workmen) who came and went through that kitchen over the years and were always made to feel at home with the invitation to linger over a cup.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 06:41 AM

https://www.loveliveson.com/eulogy-examples/ Maybe these examples might give you a start, or some ideas to get going - good luck.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 06:52 AM

Thank you all. I did one last night and will show my BIL this morning to see what he thinks, my Husband thought it was good.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 06:59 AM

Susie, I remember when you used to tell us about experiences you had with your own mother, sometimes good and sometimes bad, but it always gave me a mental picture of your mum.
Ask your husband, and others on his family, what their most memorable incident with your MIL was. I would think these incidents may give a good picture of the lady, and often a little humour is not misplaced in a Eulogy.

I always think that a Eulogy helps us to shed a few tears and raise a few smiles.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 08:21 AM

There was no eulogy at my mother's funeral, I don't think, I wasn't there. As for my mother-in-law, definitely not, my eulogy for her would have been unprintable.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 08:33 AM

You never know if you should clap after the Eulogy is read out.

There always seems to a short pause at the end of the Eulogy where the congregation aren’t sure if they should give a round of applause, or just stay silent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top