Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 11:25 AM

Codec problem.?

I am having a problem playing box set DVD`s, im usung Windows 7 media player and VlC media player.

On boxsets that have a play all episodes i have no problem, however on sets that require each episode to be selected, it will play the first ok, but stalls when the second is selected.

A friend has suggested this may be a Codec issue, any advice welcomed.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 02:08 PM

Re: Codec problem.?

I'm not well up on knowledge about this but don't think it's a codec. If it was, the the first episode wouln't play. More likely something about VLC Player's capabilities. There are other media players but the only other one I've tried is Kodi and I'm not sure if that would be better or not.

A workaround might be to go into the file structure of the DVDs in 'My Computer (or 'This PC') and look out for files with the .VOB extension. Each episode has probably got its own VOB file. Double-click on those and see if that will select the second, third etc episodes.

There may be a better answer than this along later.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 04:11 PM

https://player.gomlab.com

That is what I have switched to and works ok. Used to use VCL but had problems with it as well
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 05:35 PM

Thanks chaps, i will give them both a look and get back to you.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

12-07-2018, 12:53 PM

I downloaded the Gom Player and at first look its very good and played DVD`s very well, but when i put in one of the troublesome boxsets it immediately warned it was missing a codex to play it, so at least i now know whats needed.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 12:55 PM

VLC should play just about any codec.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

12-07-2018, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
VLC should play just about any codec.
It didnt Fosse, nor did windows media player.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 03:38 PM

I've started using this one and thus far it's been excellent.

https://daumpotplayer.com/

If your video/movie has difficulty playing it tells you which codec it needs and allows you to download it.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

12-07-2018, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I've started using this one and thus far it's been excellent.

https://daumpotplayer.com/

If your video/movie has difficulty playing it tells you which codec it needs and allows you to download it.
Thanks Judd, i downloaded Windows 7 codec suite but it made no difference, so i will give yours a try.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 05:35 PM

Not much help I know but I wonder how it is a codec problem when the first episode plays? What can the second, third episode need in addition when the first one plays OK?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top