Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 04:23 PM

computer in bits

Yes done some work on internal components.

Originally I had the "C" drive on an SSD drive but ,and please don't ask how, it is now on an HDD drive not that it matters that much apart from startup speed.
Also put each drive in order cable wise to the correct port outlet.
So carrying on "fiddling" on drive the "G" drive didn't work, discovered it was a bad port connection, now fixed, only got a 250gig SSD drive on it at the moment but now easily swap to a largerdrive later on. Still have a 2TB externl drive but that is getting a bit full as well.

All i have to do now is load up a sound drive the card is already in the computer,the microsoft one is basically useless and it only does volume.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 07:31 PM

Re: computer in bits

I'm sure you'll get there in the end.

I had recently a self-created problem with drives. The Windows OS on my computer is on a 225GB SSD. There is also a 1TB HDD (D: drive) in the computer and I wanted to make a partition on this and install Linux Mint, then be able to dual-boot between Windows and Linux. I'd set up dual-boot before but not using two separate physical disks

I thought I'd done OK until Linux started throwing up messages about lack of disk space. A long story but I ended up removing Linux Mint and putting the 1TB HDD back to a storage/backup disk only.

The whole operation mucked up the Windows MBR and other stuff and I ended up reinstalling Windows on the SSD.

After installation, some of the Windows boot files ended up on the 1TB HDD for some reason, probably because I'd changed the disk via the Linux set-up to a dynamic disk rather than a simple volume. The Windows Recovery and EFI system partitions were nowhere to be seen on the C: and D: drives yet the computer worked fine. The only way to truly sort out the trouble I'd created was to unplug the D: drive and do yet another Windows re-installation on the SSD.

That put everything back to normal with partitions in the right place but when I plugged the D: drive back in, the computer didn't show it. I had to go into drive management and give it a drive letter then that was OK. I converted it back to a simple volume, which wiped all data off the disk. No worries, I put the data back on the drive from a USB external drive and that was that.

It kept my interest for a good few hours but I won't be trying to set up a dual-boot system on two separate drives again.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 11:42 AM

Re: computer in bits

The only thing i will do later on is swap out my 250gig SSD drive "in "F" for a lot larger or . now my 2tb extrnl drive is nearly full get one with double the capacity.
Having a 36MB camera quickly uses up memory storage space

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top