Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 01:44 PM

Fascinating People

I was in my usual beauty salon last week when a woman came in to have her nails done. She was not used to it and was babbling a bit through nervousness so I started to chat to her. (The beauticians were a bit loathe to chat with her for some reason)
Anyway it turns out she had just graduated from Manchester Uni with an MA in Creative Writing and her graduation ceremony and after-drinks was the following day. This lady was 58! I was so impressed by her. She had been divorced fairly recently and had decided to do this course whilst still working to support herself as a means of changing her life and as a confidence booster.
She also went on to tell me that the course has great links with the arts industry and some of her fellow students were working on tv scripts and screenplays...She was writing a novel but had been asked to work with a children's books publisher too.

I love meeting interesting people like this but I didn't expect to meet her in a beauty salon! She wasn't the usual "where are you going on your holidays" manicure customer!

Have you met any fascinating or inspiring people recently?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 01:59 PM

Re: Fascinating People

I was fascinated by the man I married when I first met him at the age of 15, he was nearly 18. He was so very different to all the other boys I had met. He is still unlike most other guys.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I was fascinated by the man I married when I first met him at the age of 15, he was nearly 18. He was so very different to all the other boys I had met. He is still unlike most other guys.
He does sound fascinating Tara!
What is/was his line of work?
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 02:10 PM

Yes - Mike Savedra, a great friend who was educated at an Indian public school, came to England with his parents. Polished manners, engineering degree, author, lecturer, artist, musician, raconteur and car restorer (post war MG sports car). Moved to Spain to an art studio, thence to a mid Atlantic island. Last spoke with him five plus years ago.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
He does sound fascinating Tara!
What is/was his line of work?
He is a retired academic, with four degrees including a PH.D. I suspect he probably has Asperger's syndrome like our eldest grandson, which is why I found him fascinating, as well as his very high intelligence.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 02:45 PM

I suppose by how people view it I would be considered academic based on the degrees I hold. I don't see it that way. They were a means to an end. Tools to do my job.

I walk a lot and meet some interesting people who can carry on a conversation about more than just the weather or their ailments. One guy was doing "the knowledge" - streets of London to become a cabbie. Another is getting a nature reserve up and running.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

15-07-2018, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I suppose by how people view it I would be considered academic based on the degrees I hold. I don't see it that way. They were a means to an end. Tools to do my job.

I walk a lot and meet some interesting people who can carry on a conversation about more than just the weather or their ailments. One guy was doing "the knowledge" - streets of London to become a cabbie. Another is getting a nature reserve up and running.
My husband doesn't do 'chat' he only wishes to have a discussion. He has got rather pedantic these days, which can be irritating, as I have to provide evidence for anything I say! No doubt only having half a functioning brain, after the haemorrhage he had in 2006 when an aneurysm burst, is responsible.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 03:15 PM

Same here,i have met some very interesting people on my travels, including a homeless man,i love to chat...some very interesting stories i have heard.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

15-07-2018, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
Yes - Mike Savedra, a great friend who was educated at an Indian public school, came to England with his parents. Polished manners, engineering degree, author, lecturer, artist, musician, raconteur and car restorer (post war MG sports car). Moved to Spain to an art studio, thence to a mid Atlantic island. Last spoke with him five plus years ago.

Mike Savedra sounds like the ultimate cool guy
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

15-07-2018, 05:54 PM

I love meeting people like that too Besoeker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top