Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 11:36 AM

Morrisons 'quiet hour' for autistic shopping introduced

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44884183

Its UK stores will dim lights, turn music off, avoid using the tannoy and turn check-out beeps down on Saturdays from 09:00 to 10:00.

The movement of trolleys and baskets will also be reduced, it says.

The National Autistic Society says it is a "step in the right direction" for those who find shopping a struggle.

The charity is encouraging retailers to take part in a nationwide "autism hour" in October.

What is autism?
  • A lifelong developmental disability that affects how a person communicates with and relates to other people, and how they experience the world around them
  • About 700,000 people in the UK (more than one in 100) are on the autism spectrum
  • Autism does not just affect children. Autistic children grow up to be autistic adults
  • People may be under-sensitive or over-sensitive to sounds; find social situations a challenge; experience a "meltdown" if overwhelmed
What a good idea .....

We've all seen "stroppy" kids" in shops and supermarkets. No doubt some are autistic but it's a disability which is not apparent so many of us would give the poor parent(s) disapproving looks and some might even complain to the management .....

Frankly, I might even join the kids in a "quiet" hour .....
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 11:41 AM

Re: Morrisons 'quiet hour' for autistic shopping introduced

What a great idea, would be nice if other chains followed suit
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 11:46 AM

Bet they still keep moving the displays about though.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 12:31 PM

It's best not to go shopping at all, it would be even quieter then, particularly on a Saturday. I'm not normally one for the nanny state ideas but I suppose it should be given a chance to see what happens. I'm not sure I would want to shop there at those times though.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 12:48 PM

I did know about this ages ago.
There are also theatres that do special performances of Pantomimes for the same reasons, the house lights are also left on.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 01:04 PM

An extremely good idea tbh...knowing from personal experience with my Aspie son and how he reacts to going shopping ..I would imagine it will be pleasant for sufferers of anxiety and other mental health issues also so a win all round.
Id love to see it spread to other shops.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I did know about this ages ago.
There are also theatres that do special performances of Pantomimes for the same reasons, the house lights are also left on.
They do it at Lego conventions as well. The children, teens & adults seem to be well behaved too, not like some of the able children who come after.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 01:19 PM

That’s a good idea, I hope it works out well for all concerned...
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
An extremely good idea tbh...knowing from personal experience with my Aspie son and how he reacts to going shopping ..I would imagine it will be pleasant for sufferers of anxiety and other mental health issues also so a win all round.
Id love to see it spread to other shops.
Aysa, if you give it a try with your son, please let us know the outcome. It always helps when we hear the experience of those that the changes are provided for.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 01:55 PM

I will definately be shopping at those "quiet" hours if any shops locally to me participate in this Twink...shopping and generally being out and about in crowds is usually a big no no for him at the best of times..he has many issues (mental health) to contend with.
Life isnt easy by any stretch of the imagination for him so anything like this I cant welcome enough.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top