Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2015, 04:08 PM

Advice to a 13 year old

Me, Veronica and Mimi went out today. Over lunch the subject turned to dogs. Mimi says I want a dog but mum says no.

I say to Mimi,if you got a puppy tomorrow it would probably still be around when you are 25,they need walking every day,vets bills are huge and if you left home what would happen?

Bless she is a bright girl-in her face and eyes she started to think about it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2015, 04:21 PM

Re: Advice to a 13 year old

That's good advice
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2015, 05:37 PM

I was told around that age when you get married and have a place of your own you can have any pet you like.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2015, 05:45 PM

seems fair-not so sure about marriage though.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2015, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I was told around that age when you get married and have a place of your own you can have any pet you like.
Yes me too and have never been without a dog since. Marvellous thing marriage
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2015, 11:28 PM

I can't ever remember being without a dog when I was a kid. Mum always loved animals. My brother was more for reptiles, but I always loved dogs and horses, and used to ride regularly.
We also had cats, guinea pigs, fish, plus the school 's rabbits during the school holidays.
I can only ever remember being without a dog once in my life, just for a few months, then the next one arrived!

OG, I think you're right explaining to your friend about the responsibilities. Also, if 'Mum' doesn't want one, it wouldn't work, even if you helped out with veterinary fees.
I would ask her who would get up at night when the pup cries? Who would have to clean up the wee's/poo's all day when she's at school? And who would have to walk it when Mimi's out with boyfriends soon ...
Maybe she could get a Saturday job at kennels when she's old enough, and see if she still likes the idea when she has more experience?
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2015, 08:41 PM

My kids were told "No" well in advance of the stage where'd they'd ask for a pet. No way, no how were they ever getting a pet because I'd have been the one lumbered with it. I had no pets when I was young and I couldn't see the point in having one even when I was a kid.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2015, 11:43 PM

Good job I'm not your missus then Tachyon, I couldn't live without my menagerie - guess I just love being 'lumbered' as you put it.

(There again, they are also lumbered aren't they - with us).
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2015, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
My kids were told "No" well in advance of the stage where'd they'd ask for a pet. No way, no how were they ever getting a pet because I'd have been the one lumbered with it. I had no pets when I was young and I couldn't see the point in having one even when I was a kid.
That whole post is sad, you were denied something so you did the same to your children.

lumbered..

That says it all .. You see those of us who love our pets know its not about burden, its about having a special freind to share life with.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

13-04-2015, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
That whole post is sad, you were denied something so you did the same to your children.

lumbered..

That says it all .. You see those of us who love our pets know its not about burden, its about having a special freind to share life with.
I don't see it as sad, not everyone likes or wants animals, much better to be honest and make rules that reflect that. Far too many people get them and they end up in rescues or treated badly because they haven't thought it through and realised they don't really want an animal.

Many people don't live lives compatible with having and animal either.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top