Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 01:53 PM

Parents Fined For Taking Children Out of School

A couple who took their children on a week-long holiday during school term time have been ordered by magistrates to pay £1,000 in costs and fines.

Stewart and Natasha Sutherland, from Telford, Shropshire, originally refused to pay a £360 fine. It doubled after they failed to pay within 21 days.

The couple, their two daughters, aged 15 and 13, and six-year-old son went to the Greek island of Rhodes for a week at the end of September 2013.

Telford and Wrekin Council said stricter laws about taking children out of school specified that leave can only be granted in term time in exceptional family circumstances.

Mr Sutherland, who represented himself in court, said he booked the holiday a year before the law changed in September 2013.

Mr Sutherland told the BBC it was his first family holiday for five years because his job as a Ministry of Defence (MoD) guard had prevented him from taking annual leave during the school holidays.

A spokesman said: "Poor attendance at school can have a hugely damaging effect, and children who attend school regularly are nearly four times more likely to achieve five or more good GCSEs than those who are regularly absent.

"Parents should never simply discount a possible penalty notice from the cost of a cheaper holiday, because this is a criminal offence and when doing so they are always risking prosecution," he added.

What do you think of this ruling? Do you think it's a bit harsh?

Should parents be able to take their children on holiday outsie of the 'normal' holiday allotted times?

Would one week cause that much disruption? If so, what about when teachers go on strike - does that not cause harm to a child's education?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-25733272
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 01:57 PM

Re: Parents Fined For Taking Children Out of School

Well it's a difficult one I think, if a child is off too much then yes if this is added to that then it's too much but if a child attends every other day and is doing well then it's not too much to have them off for a week.

We need to address why holidays are so expensive during school holidays really as many families struggle with that.

We will be going away in March would like to take Grand niece with us but school says no so we are abiding by their rules. We can't help but think time with family is as important as school though and it may be her last chance to meet her grand mother which if it is will be quite sad for both of them.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 02:02 PM

They should have notified the school before they went off on holiday ...
The shouldn't have waited for the fine to mount up .....
As for the new rule, its right, but I'm sure there are ways around it if you notify them first ..
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 02:02 PM

I can see both side of this. Yes - the school has a point. Yes - it is a legal requirement for children to attend school and if they truanted for a week the parents could be fined so what is the difference.

But

Not all parents are able to take holidays at the same time as the schools, and holidays are often more expensive during school holidays!

Not sure if there is a single fair answer!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I can see both side of this. Yes - the school has a point. Yes - it is a legal requirement for children to attend school and if they truanted for a week the parents could be fined so what is the difference.

But

Not all parents are able to take holidays at the same time as the schools, and holidays are often more expensive during school holidays!

In employment we get a holiday entitlement wonder if they could give children 2 weeks they could take when they wanted ? doesn't sound too difficult to implement.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 02:06 PM

I feel for the children, having been through the ordeal many times meself - going to a new school 2 weeks after term started - not good.
I think your idea is a good one Julie, not sure about 2 weeks though
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

16-01-2014, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I feel for the children, having been through the ordeal many times meself - going to a new school 2 weeks after term started - not good.
I think your idea is a good one Julie, not sure about 2 weeks though
I said two weeks because we have quite a high proportion of Pakistani students at the local school and they need 2 weeks to get back to Pakistan to see grad parents etc. One week if students were English I would think would be OK but a bit discriminatory.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

But

It's a tough one isn't it and, like you, I can see both sides.

I was lucky that when my children were younger, I did take them on holiday during term-time as the cost of holidays during the school breaks would have meant no holiday at all.

I still think that maybe the best answer is to lengthen the academic year to that of normal working hours (there is no need for the six week break in summer and the other numerous half-term breaks) - surely that would stop the price hiking of holidays and children would actually spend more time in education.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

16-01-2014, 02:14 PM

It is a tricky one then - If its a new school, I'm not keen on the holidays at all .... Even so, schools need to be notified in advance
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

16-01-2014, 02:19 PM

I think in this case they were notified but the school said no, they then went on to remove the children despite being told no.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top