Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 05:51 PM

Wimberries?

Hi, When I was younger, my mum used to make 'wimberry pie' (possibly called winberry pie?)...
These berries don't seem to be readily available in the greengrocery shops any more.
Are they still available anywhere?

Malc.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 05:52 PM

Re: Wimberries?

Never ever heard of them I'm afraid.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 06:30 PM

Malc you call them wimberries I call them bilberries the name depends where you live.
They grow wild on the moors in Derbyshire where I grew up. We picked them as children, they taste very similar to blueberries only smaller. I never liked them myself finding the taste dull preferring something more sour and full flavoured like blackcurrants or damsons.

I have never seen them in the shops and I can't imagine anyone picking them to sell these days . Find some moorland and pick your own in season (august september) would be my advice
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 06:32 PM

Are they the same as bilberries, my mum used to make bilberry pie but you never see bilberries these days. They are a small blueberry and grow on the moors.
Meep
manchester uk
Meep is female 

04-02-2017, 06:35 PM

Oh yes, cook at my senior school used to make Winberry pie, it was my favourite with custard of course

http://www.fruitexpert.co.uk/why-do-...inberries.html
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 08:06 PM

Apparently you can buy Winberries in Bury Market.

They say that they are a Japanese Fruit?
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 08:16 PM

Hi, Susie -
They could be a Japanese fruit, I'm not certain of their origin, but
I remember that they were sold 'loose' by the quarter pound and, at the time, they were imported from Poland and sold to the public from a woven wooden long, narrow punnet....
(I used to work in a greengrocers shop when I first left school...)

Malc.
Meep
manchester uk
Meep is female 

04-02-2017, 08:22 PM

According to Wikipedia, a wineberry is a bilberry, which is different to the blueberry but in the same family. Bilberries are smaller than blueberries, and you can often find them in the wild in Northern England
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 08:23 PM

As children we were always encouraged to pick wild fruit (with supervision!) and I remember picking bilberries on the moors but it took an awful long time to pick enough for a pie! I would love to taste them again.
Val J
East Yorkshire

04-02-2017, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Meep ->
According to Wikipedia, a wineberry is a bilberry, which is different to the blueberry but in the same family. Bilberries are smaller than blueberries, and you can often find them in the wild in Northern England
Yes Meep, they could be found on the moors around Whitby, they taste completely different to a blueberry even though, as you say, they are in the same family.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top