Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 05:35 PM

Bank Holidays to costly for our country!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17654781

Should we ban Bank Holidays or cancel them until the ecconomy is back to normal?

Lets face it they are not what they were intended and now we have as many as nine this year, not what the 1871 act designated.
I never liked them when I was working, to many people free to roam about to cause disruption, to costly for companies when people work them and now it is no more than an excuse for a day off work, not that the British workers need an excuse. If they fancy a day off work they just call in sick and most get paid for it.

What are your views( as if I did not know what sheep do )?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 06:03 PM

Re: Bank Holidays to costly for our country!

Get rid of them everyone who works these day will get statutory holidays (which could be increased to compensate for lost BHs) so BHs are really are no longer necessary .
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

09-04-2012, 06:46 PM

I dislike bank holidays, so wouldn't miss them, but as I don't work outside of my home, my opinion doesn't count.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17654781

Should we ban Bank Holidays or cancel them until the ecconomy is back to normal?

Lets face it they are not what they were intended and now we have as many as nine this year, not what the 1871 act designated.
I never liked them when I was working, to many people free to roam about to cause disruption, to costly for companies when people work them and now it is no more than an excuse for a day off work, not that the British workers need an excuse. If they fancy a day off work they just call in sick and most get paid for it.

What are your views( as if I did not know what sheep do )?
Make a point of not going out on a BH, too many people going to same place as me.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 07:04 PM

My husband refuses to go out in the car on Bank Holidays, the roads are always so congested....
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 07:47 PM

As an ex employer, you really don't want to know what I think about Bank Holidays, although you could probably guess...
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
As an ex employer, you really don't want to know what I think about Bank Holidays, although you could probably guess...
yes I do please.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 08:34 PM

People need the odd long weekend break when they work hard, God knows they have enough stress worrying about the rent and whether the job will be there in a years time the way things are going, I for one would not begrudge the Bank holidays to anyone.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.

09-04-2012, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
People need the odd long weekend break when they work hard, God knows they have enough stress worrying about the rent and whether the job will be there in a years time the way things are going, I for one would not begrudge the Bank holidays to anyone.
Only thing is not everyone has the BH off cos a lot of shops open now what about them?? Some don't even get time off in liue now or enhanced pay.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 09:30 PM

I really used to love bank holidays and it was great knowing that over the summer period there were lots of them. It was something to look forward to. Now that I'm self employed its rare I get them off, I worked all day on Good Friday and most of today

Isn't there an extra one this year in June??

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top