Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2011, 09:50 PM

Ben

This is following up on the story of Ben mentioned in the Mistreatment of Animals thread.

It's my belief that when he was born deformed his mother ostracised him and the people where he lived threw him out.

This is what he looked like when we took him in.

At the earliest opportunity we took him to the vet who examined him and said that because he had a neurological problem it was best for him to be put down, and that he was between just five and seven weeks old. Also, one front leg and one back leg were excessively weak and the vet said he'd never walk. I told the vet that this little chap would walk if I'd anything to do with it.

The vet was thrilled when we told him that we were going to do our best for him and every lunchtime I went home from work to feed him and give him physio on his legs.

He loved me picking him up and feeding him with a tiny tube and, he'd roll along on the floor to meet me. I have many photos of him and I believe our Joe was the father, as he paid a lot of attention to this baby.

Even Pepsi looked after him, even though she'd never had kittens of her own.

Through the massage in both his little legs, he started to pick up a little, but would flop down again. One day though when I went home, he stood up and walked toward me on wobbly legs.

merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2011, 11:14 PM

Re: Ben

Bless him! What a lovely ending to a sad story, and well done to you Mollie for looking after him so well
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2011, 11:17 PM

Poor little one, he looks really frightened in the first pic

It was very kind of you to take him on and look after him, Mollie. He would never have lasted long on his own
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2011, 11:52 PM

Thank you both. This was an ongoing journal on another forum for a few weeks and everybody was routing for him.

We did our very best for this poor little chap. He was as bright as a button and learned quickly, even using a box next to him to go for a wee. Gordon and I would take turns feeding him and that day when I saw him actually walking toward me instead of rolling, I broke down in tears.

It was as if he was determined to thank us for helping him and we were going to take him back to the vet again to show him that I got him walking, despite it being highly unlikely that he would.

Sadly, he took a turn for the worse and one night he fitted but he wasn't strong enough, and died. We were both heartbroken, but at least he knew that someone had loved him in his short life.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2011, 11:58 PM

How sad Mollie At least he felt loved during his final days ...... probably for the first time in his short life...
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

26-11-2011, 12:04 AM

Although this happened about eight years ago, I've just been having another little cry over that poor little darling.

It's normal for a mother cat to abandon any kitten that isn't perfect, and I suppose her humans didn't know what to do with him, but to have thrown him out was cruel.

Somebody on the previous forum that I mentioned suggested that he left of his own accord and that I wasn't doing him any favours! At 5 or 6 weeks! Can you believe that?

It wasn't easy looking after him, and he'd cry when we went to bed, so we ended up taking him into our bedroom so he could sleep in his box at the side of the bed so that he didn't feel abandoned.

Had he lived, he would have been a wonderful faithful cat, just like all of our charges have been.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2011, 09:37 AM

That made me cry

Well done you Mollie for giving that poor little kitten the love and attention it deserved, albeit a short one.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2011, 11:39 AM

Poor little mite, so very tiny and with so much against him. Thank goodness you took him in Mollie and cared so gently for him. Ben felt loved and warm in his last days, that's all they want isn't it?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2011, 01:04 PM

Mollie, although his was as short life you undoubtedly made a big difference to it, the alternative doesn't bear thinking about. Well done to you.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

26-11-2011, 04:03 PM

Thank you all so very much, but I really wasn't looking for praise, but rather highlight the fact that he'd been dealt a cruel hand from birth.

When I found him on the pavement that morning, I must not have been the only person to have seen him, so others walked by without a care, and it saddens me to think of that.

I've adored all the cats that have deigned to live with us, and there have been many and all have been special, but Ben's stay with us was the shortest and when I hear the song Ben being played, it always reminds me of him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top