Join for free
zinnia
Wiltshire
zinnia is female  zinnia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 01:05 PM

Best Small Ground Cover Shrubs

I have come to the conclusion that planting out bedding plants every year is too labour intensive and back breaking for me to do anymore. I want to plant things which don't get too big - either in height or width - and possibly evergreen. I would appreciate any ideas. I have a large garden with quite a lot of beds which do have some perennials but too much space for weeds to get in between when they die back in the winter.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 01:14 PM

Re: Best Small Ground Cover Shrubs

Hypericum, conifers, low growing ones, heathers, hebes: lovely because they look like topiary and have nice flowers, good value for money. Potentilla are pretty, you can get some ground cover roses. Berberis, cotoniaster (may have spelled that wrong) you could grow some box trees and shape them, nice hobby.
zinnia
Wiltshire
zinnia is female  zinnia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 07:04 PM

Thanks Twizard - they all sound like good possibilities especially the Hebes.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 07:27 PM

Rockery plants are good for ground cover. Herbs, lavender, heuchera (lots of nice colours) rhubarb have lovely big leaves, bergenia too, vinca minor (periwinkle) has pretty blue flowers. You could even plant ivy and a variegated one would be nice.
Some plants don't like too much shade though.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 07:42 PM

I was also about to suggest Vinca.
You can get a variegated form and that's nice.
How about Clematis ? You can grow them without supports so they cover the ground and there are evergreen varieties. I have a small leaved one who's name escapes me
Uff
Scotland
Uff is female  Uff has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 09:09 PM

Have you considered putting a weed supressant ground cover down before planting zinnia? It's a time consuming job but well worth it. Goodbye to weeding.
ratbag
UK
ratbag is female  ratbag has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 12:19 AM

oh yes I agree I have only had to buy a few bedding plants this year as I have planted shrubs and ground cover everywhere,and the benefit is also no weeds as there isn't room for them.
Ajuga is brilliant ground cover and you can buy it in different varieties
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc....0.IA8yWDT7kQg
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 07:02 AM

I have a ground cover evergreen that I call 'Ground Honeysuckle'; it probably has another name but it is evergreen and has tiny Honeysuckle shaped flowers in late summer. Thyme is also good but I suggest looking around your area to see what grows well in your soil and climate. Already mentioned, Vinca is a low maintenance ground cover, grows anywhere.
zinnia
Wiltshire

13-06-2013, 12:05 PM

Thanks for all your very good suggestions - hopefully next year my garden will be much easier on my poor back and still looking nice and tidy.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top