Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2013, 09:30 AM

BBC Wastes Licence Money

I have always been quite a supporter of the BBC - I think they used to offer quality programmes and, importantly, no adverts that interrupt the flow of a film or programme.

However, I was stunned to read how much they have wasted on yet another scheme that has gone belly-up and now using more licence fee revenue to find out why!

Could part of the problem be that it is easy to squander money you haven't had to earn (given that we have no choice about the licence fee)? If the BBC was in the private sector - would this situation have occurred?

Should the BBC be privatised after all?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/bbc-admits-...2.html#yHLyiXF
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2013, 09:44 AM

Re: BBC Wastes Licence Money

Karen darlin' - there's an even bigger question to ask about the BBC. they moved 'Breakfast news' from the television studios in West London to Salfords in Manchester last year costing £millions. It was being said at the time that eventually all news and news programmes would move into the 'new' Salfords studios. At the same time, they upgraded and extended 'Broadcasting House' in central London and the 'BBC News' is still broadcast from there. Furthermore, all the BBC 'Executives' still work in London. The rationale for the move to Salfords was being said that it would be cheaper and they would be able to hire local staff in and around Manchester. In fact they have recruited only a very few staff, mainly cleaners. Staff previously employed in West London were given the option to move to Salfords and lot of them did so (BBC paid every member of staff that did £600,000 each).

Given that the majority of 'news' (except Breakfast) is still broadcast from central London and the vast majority of staff and executives still work from central London offices what was the pointn of the move of 'Breakfast' to Salfords at enormous cost to the BBC???
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2013, 09:48 AM

There is a serious history of incompetence and money-wasting in almost any public service IT scheme you can think of (most of them designed and installed by private companies). NHS, CSA, HMRC and many many more in local government. The problem is they are commissioned by people who are IT illiterate and designed and installed by people who (a) don't understand the nature of the business/service they are designing for; and (b) are only interested in the profit they can generate.
These failures reflect on the private sector as much as they do on the public.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2013, 09:48 AM

I didn't that! I knew about the move but assumed it was part of spreading employment opportunities as well as reducing costs.

£600,000 each! I am astounded - is that generally known Uncle Joe?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

25-05-2013, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
There is a serious history of incompetence and money-wasting in almost any public service IT scheme you can think of (most of them designed and installed by private companies). NHS, CSA, HMRC and many many more in local government. The problem is they are commissioned by people who are IT illiterate and designed and installed by people who (a) don't understand the nature of the business/service they are designing for; and (b) are only interested in the profit they can generate.
These failures reflect on the private sector as much as they do on the public.
One thought that crossed my mind about all of this was - is this another case of 'someone' sitting on the board of another IT company or is a shareholder so work was pushed their way; they got paid after all.

Why can't the BBC be held more accountable? Why is a public service so autonomous?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2013, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I didn't that! I knew about the move but assumed it was part of spreading employment opportunities as well as reducing costs.

£600,000 each! I am astounded - is that generally known Uncle Joe?

I knew it, so its not something that isn't in the public domain Karen darlin'
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

25-05-2013, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I knew it, so its not something that isn't in the public domain Karen darlin'
I must have my head in the sand most of the time!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2013, 10:51 AM

I only watch Breakfast, Hignfy, Q.I. Politics show and Andrew Marr on The Beeb, very little else! Most times there's nothing interesting on any of their channels I would be happy to have ads in between & not have licence fee! OR pay as you use. Don't they have something like that in the US? Is it PBS or something?
They should have a "Watchdog" of viewers controlling their spending.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

25-05-2013, 10:54 AM

Since the programming went downhill, I only watch HIGNFY, The Big Questions and the odd film so I have to say I'm not sure I think they give value for money any more.

Agree about the Watchdog and it should consist only of members of the general public and no-one with a vested interest or influence.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 08:46 PM

Yes, a monster loss. Seems rediculous to me that the BBC still operates the way it does when there are so many other stations now available. You still have to pay their fee even if you don't watch their programs at all. Awful. I tell you one thing though and that is they won't be getting any money from me as I don't watch live tv, therefore I DON'T pay for a tv license .

Do I need a tv license?

I watch BBC iPlayer (allowed) read the news and so on using my tv screen as a monitor for my computer. Wireless keyboard and mouse with the computer situated under the tv and picking up the internet from my modem using a usb dongle. Perfect setup for me and saving me money to boot .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top