Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 11:17 PM

TV Cancer awareness advert

Has anyone seen the recent ads on TV about Lung cancer awareness ..It states if you have had a cough for more than 3 weeks it could be a sign of Lung cancer .....Well i went to my doctor with a 3 MONTH cough and what did he say ...Nothing to worry about it is what they call a 100 day cough ...he did however listen to my chest and check my Lung capacity ....but it was definately more than 3 weeks as it started at Xmas
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 11:28 PM

Re: TV Cancer awareness advert

This 3 week cough thing may be right.....but there again, if you read and believe all the medical advice in the media, you would never get out of bed. I can't count the number of times I have read about what gives you cancer, dementia, heart attack and strokes. I wonder if that's true, how come I'm still alive.

Always good advice to see your doctor, but I have learned not to take it at face value.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 08:57 AM

Our GPs are caving in under these campaigns with people trotting along with a cough they cannot cure them so they do nothing but it has taken up an appointment that could have gone to someone else.

Not blaming the patients it's the ill thought out campaign that is causing the problem.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Our GPs are caving in under these campaigns with people trotting along with a cough they cannot cure them so they do nothing but it has taken up an appointment that could have gone to someone else.

Not blaming the patients it's the ill thought out campaign that is causing the problem.
The campaigns are not 'ill thought out' Julie.

Coughing could be a sign of lung cancer.

If you’ve had a cough for more than three weeks you should see your doctor, of course, in the vast majority of cases it won’t be serious but if there is something wrong, finding it early means it’s more likely to be treatable so tell your doctor.

One of those patients sitting in the waiting room waiting to see the doctor about a cough that has been going on for more than three weeks could have early signs of lung cancer and that appointment 'that could have gone to somebody else' could save his/her life by early detection.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by ukmartian ->
Has anyone seen the recent ads on TV about Lung cancer awareness ..It states if you have had a cough for more than 3 weeks it could be a sign of Lung cancer .....Well i went to my doctor with a 3 MONTH cough and what did he say ...Nothing to worry about it is what they call a 100 day cough ...he did however listen to my chest and check my Lung capacity ....but it was definately more than 3 weeks as it started at Xmas
I have had the same ukmartian and good that you were checked out to eliminate anything more serious

Mine started on 3rd of January...now after two courses of antibotics for two bouts of bronchitis after a virus turned into a bacterial infection I am now on the mend.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 02:07 PM

But it goes like this pats, you make an appointment and go to the GP, if you are lucky you get an appointment within a month. You go in and see the GP who sits other side of the desk and say I have had this cough for months. He or she wearily says don't worry nothing we can do. You have had your 5 minutes please leave.

How is that good use of NHS money ? No examination at all so you could be riddled with cancer and they still have no idea !
Pats
Lincolnshire

14-03-2014, 04:31 PM

But it goes like this pats, you make an appointment and go to the GP, if you are lucky you get an appointment within a month. You go in and see the GP who sits other side of the desk and say I have had this cough for months. He or she wearily says don't worry nothing we can do. You have had your 5 minutes please leave.
No it doesn't always 'go like that'...I had a chest infection following a virus, I phoned my surgery and received an appointment the same day.

How is that good use of NHS money ? No examination at all so you could be riddled with cancer and they still have no idea !
On my appointment I was given a thorough examination of my 'chest sounds' and given a course of antibiotics and an appointment with the nurse the next day for a blood test to ensure no other underlying cause.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

14-03-2014, 04:39 PM

But two of us in this thread alone have had the same experience of no examination so in our services it is a waste of time and the money could be better spent.
Pats
Lincolnshire

14-03-2014, 04:48 PM

But two of us in this thread alone have had the same experience of no examination so in our services it is a waste of time and the money could be better spent.
Compared to the thousands that have had a thorough examination and a clear indication that there is no other cause I would say that overall it is money well spent.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
No it doesn't always 'go like that'...I had a chest infection following a virus, I phoned my surgery and received an appointment the same day.
On my appointment I was given a thorough examination of my 'chest sounds' and given a course of antibiotics and an appointment with the nurse the next day for a blood test to ensure no other underlying cause.
Pats you are a NURSE according to your profile.

I take it that that means an NHS Nurse?

Don't you think that your response is a little dictatorial and an assumption by you that the service you get is the norm because, as I've mentioned many times before, in my case and the cases of other NHS "users", the NHS service YOU received is not the same NHS service as many others receive.

You come across as someone who is always defensive regarding any post on the NHS and it seems to me that you use your experiences, as an NHS Nurse as a yardstick for the entire NHS system.

Can you not see that your perspective or experience may possibly be far removed from what others - possibly thousands of others might receive?!

If you cannot accept that or feel that your loyalty to the NHS supersedes any criticism from non-NHS employees and service users regarding their treatment by the NHS are we not simply exacerbating the problems instead of trying to identify and rectify the problems before another scandal breaks?

Could this "don't grass" attitude be why NHS Whistleblowers get their lives ruined for speaking out? stevmk2

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top