Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2015, 06:33 PM

Stew/Casserole Recipes please

I have treated myself to a cast iron casserole dish - thanks to Black Friday.

I only ever do basic stews with stewing meat and veg so would welcome your favourite recipes please.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2015, 06:46 PM

Re: Stew/Casserole Recipes please

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat ->
I have treated myself to a cast iron casserole dish - thanks to Black Friday.

I only ever do basic stews with stewing meat and veg so would welcome your favourite recipes please.
Chuck it out (or grow a house plant in it) then use a pressure cooker to make chic or beef stew ...

As a person who doesn't enjoy red meat, I used to put both chick and beef in.
Chick for me and Beef for OH, all cooked together with plenty of onions (done first in the microwave), potatoes, dumpling etc
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2015, 06:52 PM

Some ideas here Joy ....

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=27958
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2015, 06:55 PM

Ooooo ... Lancashire hotspot or Irish stew ... yummmmmmm

Not had either for decades but very VERY good
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2015, 07:06 PM

It will probably end up where my slow cooker is...........at the back of the cupboard!!!

I will keep an eye on that link, thank you Meg.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2015, 07:24 PM

A pack of pork pieces
an onion
packet of pork casserole mix
a cooking apple
about half a pint of dry cider

Add the packet casserole mix to the cider, stir to dissolve
Put pork pieces, chopped onion and cooking apple to the mix
maybe add more water according to taste

Cook

Yum yum yum
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2015, 07:29 PM

What's the difference between a stew and a casserole ?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2015, 07:30 PM

It will probably end up where my slow cooker is...........at the back of the cupboard!!!

I will keep an eye on that link, thank you Meg.
Chop the meat into bite sized chunks. Place in frying pan with a chopped onion and a little oil. Heat the meat and cook until it begins to turn brown. Add a couple of glasses of red wine and stir. Continue cooking for 1 minute. Remove from heat and with a slotted spoon scoop out the meat and onion into your casserole dish leaving the oil and wine in the frying pan. peel and chop appropriate veg and return pan to heat for a few minutes to allow veg to absorb colour and flavour of wine. Scoop veg from pan and add to casserole dish. Pour wine into saucepan, add bisto pwder and an oxo cube, stir vigourously until bisto and oxo dissolved. Pour over meat and veg and place casserole dish into oven. Leave on medium heat for approx 2 hours.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-12-2015, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Chop the meat into bite sized chunks. Place in frying pan with a chopped onion and a little oil. Heat the meat and cook until it begins to turn brown. Add a couple of glasses of red wine and stir. Continue cooking for 1 minute. Remove from heat and with a slotted spoon scoop out the meat and onion into your casserole dish leaving the oil and wine in the frying pan. peel and chop appropriate veg and return pan to heat for a few minutes to allow veg to absorb colour and flavour of wine. Scoop veg from pan and add to casserole dish. Pour wine into saucepan, add bisto pwder and an oxo cube, stir vigourously until bisto and oxo dissolved. Pour over meat and veg and place casserole dish into oven. Leave on medium heat for approx 2 hours.
That sounds good UJ. Thank you. I must give that a go with the red wine.

No idea what the difference is Patsy, maybe someone will know the answer.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

02-12-2015, 10:53 PM

That sounds good UJ. Thank you. I must give that a go with the red wine.

No idea what the difference is Patsy, maybe someone will know the answer.
FGS ... DRINK the red wine .. 'tis good for you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top