Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

14-11-2011, 06:45 PM

An appeal on behalf of Krill.

We are it seems forever hearing of campaigns to save the whale. Conversely, we never hear a peep out of the bleeding heart, eco warriors regarding the desperate plight of one of the most delightful and inoffensive creatures of the sea. I refer of course to the Antarctic Krill or Euphausia
superba as we know them or more relevant to us, their Northern cousins Meganyctiphanes norvegica.

Unlike other newsworthy public interest scandals such as Cheryl Cole, why? or Duchy Originals, what exactly?, there will be no televised exposé. Nor will there be a mini series in HD narrated by Tintins mate, Captain Haddock. Even a newsnight report with that little winkle Jeremy Paxman interviewing the MP, Chris Grayling lies on the cutting room floor of ennui, which in itself is a little fishy.

I do find it deeply distressing to report on this outrage dear reader but it is perhaps but a small price to pay if it means a greater understanding and acceptance of a fellow creatures place in our lives. It is perhaps all the more poignant at this time of the year when folks are about to tuck into their seafood and salad platter.

Every year, vast colonies of these humble little fellows are wiped from the seas by the voracious appetites of Orca, the fluke slapping, breach performing and blow happy gargantuans of the deep.

This Krillocide continues daily and shows no signs of abating.
I recently spoke with my good friend Kris Krillian of the Crustacean Courier. He and his family recently left the relative sanctuary of their home on the east side of the Tjornes peninsula,- which as we know forms part of the Icelandic shelf - to begin the arduous migration south.

To understand the logic behind such a perilous undertaking one has to accept that they are driven by a cocktail of emotions that have evolved over the centuries and not just as a result of a night on the sauce.

At the present time Kris and his family are resting up in relative safety just off the Northwest coast near Royal Birkdale. They hope to take in a bit of golf before the priest conducts the blessing for the long journey south.
It will also give Kris time to hand in his latest copy to the Editor of the Courier, Cray Fishstock. Regular readers of Kris's column will be relieved to note that despite all the adversity, his articles are still a must read.

I particularly liked this weeks 'Nippers Notes' joke page which included the one about the young octopus that was a bit poorly. His mum wanted to get him to the underwater infirmary and were waiting for the turtle bus when a rather large shark swam by. The shark stopped and asked if he could be of assistance, offering to take the poor little chap on his back to the hospital.

Mrs Octopus was relieved at the offer of help even from such an unlikely source and got the patient aboard and off the two of them went. Of course instead of going to the hospital the shark went round to his mates house and said
" Here's that sick squid I owe you "

I guess one has to be a Brit to get the joke if there is one but it perhaps demonstrates the true grit of these formidable creatures.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2011, 07:36 PM

Re: An appeal on behalf of Krill.

Absolutely fantastic Hammer! Very clever and hilarious! I am sitting here with a big grin on my face Just going back to read it again.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2011, 07:37 PM

Hammer , you seem to be a thoughtful Sole , i’m Herring what you say about Krill , yes others Perch themselves in the media and Carp on about insignificant topics while these little creatures Flounder in the jaws of destruction ..
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2011, 07:38 PM

Meg, that's brilliant!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2011, 07:45 PM

"Sick squid I owe you" ..... I love it! Brilliant!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
Meg, that's brilliant!
do you mean Brill iant Mary thank you but I think not. More likely to be the glass of wine (or two) I have just had with my supper than any brilliance on my part
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2011, 07:55 PM

I can't possibly take this appeal seriously there is something very fishy about it
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2011, 08:28 PM

Very well done hammer, I for one will be sending you my sick squid for the appeal.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

14-11-2011, 11:13 PM

Thanks for all your interest I will pass on your good wishes to Kris, his good lady wife Kristine and the little shrimps.

As an update, the blessing was delivered at low tide.

Kris has also sent me a scan of the expected addition to the Krillian shellhold.

And finally, 'call me Dave' has seen the appeal and has promised to support our cause.

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2011, 11:31 PM

simply brilliant!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top