Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2012, 03:25 PM

Tomorrow's Tree (1931).

This Tree looks like just like any other tree, but it's not a natural Tree, it was genetically engineered at University College Dublin in 1931. In the laboratory the Professor of botany, Sir Gerald Barker and a team of bright students, stripped old and new seedlings from their seedcoats, and with a treatment of Sulphuric Acid and other harsh chemicals produced what was supposed to be a Pest resistant Tree, so you see folks this genetic messing around is not new by any means. The Tree still stands today not too far from where I live, the big rock on the right had a commemorative plaque on it but it was hacked off by vandals in the 80's. the Tree is slowly being eaten away by...PESTS!.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2012, 03:48 PM

Re: Tomorrow's Tree (1931).

That's a lovely picture Jimmy.
What a pity about the vandalism..and a shame that the genetic engineering wasn't successful.
It's genetically modified crops that worry me.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2012, 04:09 PM

Jem any other day I would say that is very interesting ...but knowing you and your jokes and looking at the date I have just a tiny grain of doubt
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2012, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
That's a lovely picture Jimmy.
What a pity about the vandalism..and a shame that the genetic engineering wasn't successful.
It's genetically modified crops that worry me.
The back of the tree is very badly eaten away Janela, that's the best side you see, some tourists like to take photo's and they are sort of gently nudged to the good side.
Woo be to the doubting Thomas's among us.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2012, 04:56 PM

...Jem I should have added profound apologies if I am barking up the wrong tree
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2012, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Jem any other day I would say that is very interesting ...but knowing you and your jokes and looking at the date I have just a tiny grain of doubt
Meg, even yesterday I was wondering what gem our Jem would post today. I'm still not sure if I believe him about that tree!
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2012, 11:58 PM

Hmmmm......considering Jem posted it at 3.25pm, effectively April Fools finishes by 12 noon (I think)

Interesting, all the same
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2012, 08:15 AM

Sulphuric acid and other harsh chemicals, on seedlings. I doubt there would be much life left in them So I too have grave doubts
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

02-04-2012, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Sulphuric acid and other harsh chemicals, on seedlings. I doubt there would be much life left in them So I too have grave doubts
Yes indeed Mall, Sulphuric acid is still used today to rejuvenate dormant seed, they are soaked in a solution of deluted acid and soapy water, for over an hour or so to kick-start them, some of the seeds taken from the tomb's of Mummies in Egypt have grown into adult trees over there. Ammonia and lime are used on some tree seedlings. So there!
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2012, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
Yes indeed Mall, Sulphuric acid is still used today to rejuvenate dormant seed, they are soaked in a solution of deluted acid and soapy water, for over an hour or so to kick-start them, some of the seeds taken from the tomb's of Mummies in Egypt have grown into adult trees over there. Ammonia and lime are used on some tree seedlings. So there!
OK I believe you, I think

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top