Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Felicity
New Member!
Manchester
Felicity is female 

02-02-2012, 04:04 PM

Tomatoes

I have grown the regular tomatoes in the past and would like to try the Piccolino variety. Has anyone grown these and do they need to be left bushy or do they have the suckers removed to concentrate on a main stem? Many thanks for any advice.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 05:12 PM

Re: Tomatoes

Hi Felicity I have never grown those myself but think Plantman may have. I don't have much luck with tomatoes .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 06:10 PM

Hi Felicity, I haven't grown the Piccolino variety, but most cherry tomatoes don't need their side shoots removing which allows the plant to become very bushy, which in turn promotes heavy cropping. Most of these cherry bush varieties need very little care other than consistent watering and then weekly feeding when the fruit has set.

I hadn't decided yet what variety to grow myself this year as my Tumbling Toms last year were a disaster for some reason, so I may try Piccolino myself. Let us know how you get on...
Felicity
New Member!
Manchester
Felicity is female 

03-02-2012, 03:10 PM

Thanks for that plantman, I will let you know how it goes with them.
kathleen j
shropshire
kathleen j is female  kathleen j has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2012, 07:37 PM

I didnt grow any last year at all.
kathleen j
shropshire
kathleen j is female  kathleen j has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2012, 07:21 PM

I brought some of my cuttings and yougn plants into the house yesterday and i'm glad i did it is freezing here and still snowing since late morning.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2012, 07:26 PM

Apart from planting onion and shallot sets, I never start gardening until March at the earliest, everything always seems to eventually catch up with the early starters..
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2012, 08:22 PM

Grow them ever year was amazed in ontartio no need for greenhouses
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Hi Felicity, I haven't grown the Piccolino variety, but most cherry tomatoes don't need their side shoots removing which allows the plant to become very bushy, which in turn promotes heavy cropping. Most of these cherry bush varieties need very little care other than consistent watering and then weekly feeding when the fruit has set.

I hadn't decided yet what variety to grow myself this year as my Tumbling Toms last year were a disaster for some reason, so I may try Piccolino myself. Let us know how you get on...
I had some cherry tomatoes last year in our car porch. I didn't remove any side shoots and indeed they became quite bushy. A friend came along and while I was cleaning the car and hubs had gone indoors, our friend kindly removed all side shoots and most of the bushyness. When we came out he told us off for not taking care of our tomato plants.

Little wonder we didn't get many tommies from those plants which had grown tall and bushy.

Thanks for that advice any more advice on growing-
zucchero
Gardner's delight
F1 Sweet Million

Would be much appreciated.

I am having KEEP OFF THE PLANTS signs made as we speak.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Apart from planting onion and shallot sets, I never start gardening until March at the earliest, everything always seems to eventually catch up with the early starters..
This is excellent news to me as the garden is a soggy mess and I know there is more rain to come. I shall do as you do and start the planting in March.

I grew some seeds from Aldi peppers, they are doing so well on a sunny window sill I am really proud of them. Whether I will get fruit or not I don't know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top