Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2015, 08:55 AM

John Redwood MP

Interesting to see John Redwood's comments on TV News this morning regarding EU Membership.

I only caught the last few seconds as I was channel-hopping, trying to find News rather than the inane chit-chat that passes as News when I paused on SKY.

Luckily it was before their daily banal "celebrity" take on the day's news and Eamonn Holmes had Redwood on to talk briefly about the EU Debate.

I particularly liked Redwood's mentioning the fact that the UK is creating more jobs in the Union than any other country only to see them taken by Europeans.

I decided from that to have a look at whatever I could find about Conservatives Sceptics and Redwood in particular but it isn't that easy!

I did find this though: -

http://johnredwoodsdiary.com/

and I found his first piece at the top very good! stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2015, 09:45 AM

Re: John Redwood MP

John Redwood has always seemed to me to really have his head on the right way he has insight into many things others seem scared to say anything about, sadly he was side lined years ago probably because he does understand and isn't scared to say so.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2015, 12:29 PM

Yes its good to hear there are Euro sceptics amongst the conservatives
Not all plain sailing ............
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2015, 10:03 AM

This is today's diary entry by John Redwood: -

"For me the negotiation and referendum is a win win.
If the negotiations creates a much better relationship for us that is progress.
If it does not, then we can simply leave.
To me it is all a question of how do we restore our democracy.

We are spoilt for choice when it comes to seeing the advantages of leaving the EU.

Out of the EU we will be freer, more democratic, and better off.

Out of the EU the UK Parliament will be able to settle the immigration and welfare policies we want without the EU stopping us.

Out of the EU we will be £11 billion better off as we end the net contribution to the EU.

Out of the EU we will be able to spend the £5bn that gets spent today by the EU in the ways we want.

Out of the EU we will not be dragged into subsidising the Euro area or standing behind failing banks in the Eurozone.

Out of the EU we will be able to set our own levels of VAT, and avoid any new taxes we do not want.

Out of the EU we will be able to decide how much regulation to impose on business trading in the UK or the rest of the world outside the EU.

Out of the EU the UK will be able to accelerate free trade agreements with the USA, China, India and the other important growing markets of the world.

Out of the EU we could go for cheaper energy, to allow us an industrial revival.

Out of the EU we can decide our own criminal justice policy, and who to deport.

Out of the EU we can decide our own foreign policy, and not get sucked into the EU’s conflicts with others.

Out of the EU we can be a democracy, restoring the sovereignty of the British people. We can live again in a country where if the people want something from government, Parliament can deliver it whether the EU allows it or not"

To me this makes a lot of sense, especially the last paragraph, which is exactly how I feel.

I have yet to read anything similar arguments regarding remaining a full member in the EU - and I am looking. stevmk2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top