Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 02:37 AM

NHS 68 years old.

The National Health Service (NHS), which was launched on 5 July 1948, is now 68 years old.

The experimental and ambitious service was launched by the then Health Secretary Aneurin 'Nye' Bevan at Manchester's Park Hospital (now known as the Trafford General Hospital). It promised reliable healthcare for all in Britain, that was affordable for all and financed by taxes.

The very first NHS patient was Aneira Thomas. Named after Bevan, she as born at one minute after midnight on 5 July 1948 in Carmarthenshire.

Has it aged well, or is it in need of some TLC.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 06:39 AM

Re: NHS 68 years old.

This wonderful idea has served the people of this country well.
Now it is overwhelmed and abused by all and sundry .
It's creaking but it must be saved .
One way is to reclaim money from health tourists as they do in all parts of Europe and most certainly in the US .
We can have a National Health Service not a free for all.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 07:54 AM

I thought it was, " free for all at the point of use"or something.
Needs to be changed to free for all who pay taxes? That wouldn't work because kids and poor folk don't.
It's changed so much since it began and so many take advantage now. It has to be means tested or regulated better now.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 08:01 AM

I believe the change to having Nurses needing a degree was a mistake, perhaps for those that want to move up, but not for all.

The money wasted on buying products that can be bought cheaper is also an area that needs to be looked at.

And i feel there is a case for purpose made buildings for those that need to recover without blocking beds for more urgent cases would be a step forward.

Bit of sideways thinking reqd.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 08:11 AM

Good thinking!
I think they need to employ their own electricians and other maintenance staff too, even if they have to cover a few hospitals. The charges for minor jobs done by contractors is too high.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

08-07-2016, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Good thinking!
I think they need to employ their own electricians and other maintenance staff too, even if they have to cover a few hospitals. The charges for minor jobs done by contractors is too high.
They do or they did, i was offered a job for just this when i was 26, i hve spent around 17 years of my working career on hospitals, installing everything from Cat scanners to Renal dialysis units. From an apprentice to a foreman, and all parts in between.

Ive installed every system from basic lights and power, through too communications, security, fire alarms, nurse call systems, building management systems and computers.

It may well be that those maintenance jobs are farmed out now, to private companies, i know when i was approached those in charge were incompetent jobsworths.

The quality of installations have declined over the years as standards have been relaxed, on a recent refurb i worked on we stripped out better quality work than was reinstalled.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

08-07-2016, 09:59 AM

There was a programme on telly a few years ago, they were saying it was costing hospitals and schools around £250+ just to move a socket.
My ex was an electrician, he wouldnt have charged anywhere near that for a private customer let alone a hospital.
I think the whole system needs a good sorting out.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 10:07 AM

It's creaking a bit and needs a bit of a health check but the basic idea is still as wonderful as ever.

Bread shouldn't cost £15 a loaf but that is what they pay for gluten free loaf, a light bulb shouldn't cost £70 either. Some people are making a fortune out of it preying on others suffering I see it as.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

08-07-2016, 10:32 AM

Surely the departments that pay out for these things should know they're being ripped off and should shop around. None of it makes sense. Needs a real good looking into on all levels.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Surely the departments that pay out for these things should know they're being ripped off and should shop around. None of it makes sense. Needs a real good looking into on all levels.
Couldn't agree more, I tried to stop a colleague bringing in boxes of gloves from her day job at the hospital but she saw it as perks of the job, there is a lot of that going on too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top