Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2021, 03:54 PM

camera or camcorder ??

Having both I am now more inclined to head toward doing videos. Started doing video about 9 years ago and now with video editing suites improving I find more interesting with what I can do with them .

Nothing wrong in taking just photos but that is all they are just photos. They can't and don't show the area around them which restricts a lot. OK you can change the colour -remove items - crop etc but they can't show movement only an image of a movement.

Doing videos (and I am still in the learning stage) opens up so much more than just stills. Being able to record so many things and adding script (static or rolling)- music or talkover and linking together different sections by fading in/out from one to another is satisfying when completed.

As for cost a half decent camcorder can be bought for under £100 and add an editing suite can give hours of fun and interest.

So how hard is it to do a video?

I find it is more of a challange depending on what you video. For example if just doing a video from a static point say on a tripod one can more or less preset the camcorder .

However if say walking down a road keeping the camcorder from jerking with each step one learns to walk what is called walking heel and toe method. One of the most annoying things I failed to do at first. Then there is using the arm as a steadying platform when extended reducing jerking even more.
I hopefully have got over most of this with the new Sony camcorder mentioned elsewhere.

Then there is the question of noise (not pixel noise as in stills) but actual noise created but wind across the mike or someone yacking right next to what you are filming, oh how often that has happens or they get right in the way of the video blocking everything.

Going onto sound it depends a lot on what type of microphone used, either directional or surround to name but two, let alone make. then there is microphone one can clip onto a shirt or a radio microphone. then you can play around with so much in editing to produce what you aim for sound wise.

ok sounds complicated but like everything else if taken step by step it eventually all comes together.

For me looking back on the videos I have done in the past may be far from perfect but actually seeing as happened in movement is so much better than a stills shot.

ok not a seagull I know

pity there is not a video section on the site instead of ones never used
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2021, 04:03 PM

Re: camera or camcorder ??

Sorry it took me so long to reply realspeed
I was struggling to read the fine print.
I prefer a mix of both. I agree that video adds a different dimension.
You’ll have to post some videos
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2021, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Sorry it took me so long to reply realspeed
I was struggling to read the fine print.
I prefer a mix of both. I agree that video adds a different dimension.
You’ll have to post some videos
I do have my own channel for videos on youtube but against site rules to promote, so no link sorry.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2021, 07:11 PM

I'm a still photographer. Capture the moment.

I can enjoy a good photo like any work of art, hang it on my wall.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

23-04-2021, 09:40 PM

Nothing wrong with staying with taking still photos Dood, don't get me wrong.

For me at the moment I am finding you can only take so many photos of flower-buildings - landscapes etc before repeating the same time and time again.

AS I said exploring what taking videos can do expands ones range of photography.

Yes there is the arguement about light- composition subject matter and the rest one can get involved into a great degree but at the end of the day it is still just a photo and how many can you hang on a wall?.

Maybe it is because I am bored with just taking stills, that might be the answer agreed, however videoing even a bird hopping on the ground takes a little more effort.
It is not just the taking of videos but how,why and what you want to edit makes the whole process more interesting.

for example being able to change this horrible video with all the wind noise etc as one of my first efforts taken many years ago now

into this which is more relaxing

I find quite rewarding. Being able to show someone around on the other side of the world where abouts you live is more interesting to them than just a snap shot.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top