Join for free
jodie
UK
jodie is female  jodie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2015, 06:10 PM

Sign the "Which" petition re NHS dentistry

http://www.which.co.uk/campaigns/den...eatment-costs/

Did you know you're entitled to a hygienist on the NHS? no neither did I...
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2015, 06:30 PM

Re: Sign the "Which" petition re NHS dentistry

Originally Posted by jodie ->

I tried the Hygienist once and it was PAINFUL

My Dentist usually does it and that's OK
I shan't be having the Hygienist again

As for being a NHS patient ... I'm on the list at my practice but think I have to wait for someone to die first
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2015, 07:40 PM

Yes, always had one between seeing the dentist, himself.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by jodie ->

on the NHS I was entitled to one free treatment by a hygienist, further visits would be charged for
jodie
UK
jodie is female  jodie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2015, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
on the NHS I was entitled to one free treatment by a hygienist, further visits would be charged for
If it's deemed "clinically necessary" it must be provided be free of charge - see this page http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...-what-can-i-do
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2015, 07:02 PM

yep I know, my initial visit WAS necessary but follow up visits for deep cleaning are classed as routine and are chargeable
jodie
UK

23-01-2015, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
yep I know, my initial visit WAS necessary but follow up visits for deep cleaning are classed as routine and are chargeable
Y'know I think that's exactly the nub of the problem. How do you know when something is clinically necessary? Whether its a hygienist treatment or anything else. You are totally dependant on this one person to tell you the truth, and they are not going to do that if by lying they can get 5 times as much cash out of you. I think that's why the 'paying £50 for a hygienist ' is what nearly everyone does. Who is going to go to another dentist for a 2nd opinion on whether it is 'clinically necessary'? Even if they do and and that dentist says a hygienist is 'clinically necessary', the original dentist will say 'dentists have different opinions, this doesn't mean he's right'

That question needs to be answered. I'm not quite sure who can answer it but I will have to follow it up at some point.

According to NHS I'm entitled to ceramic and/or zirconia for fillings and crowns cos I'm so incredibly allergic (I just had a recent white composite filling removed as it caused terrible pain and burning).. but the NHS practise I belong to is not going to be happy providing ceramic & zirc for NHS prices, so I'm expecting to be told I don't need them or to be told my teeth should be pulled out or some such. I'll then go for a 2nd opinion, be told something else & be in exactly the situation above.

I'm not letting this rest tho, that question about the hygienist needs to be answered.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire

23-01-2015, 07:38 PM

it sure is a grey area, I was expecting further treatments would be free and when told I'd have to pay I didn't make any further appointments, I'd paid out a fortune to the dentist and that was more than enough!
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2015, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Yes, always had one between seeing the dentist, himself.
Yes, our practice has a full time hygienist.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top