Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2014, 09:55 AM

Childish Terms.

I recently signed up with my cable operator for a new wonder type box, it contains the modem and lots of recording space, you can record 4 programs while watching another and watch TV on any of your devices in the house and lots more, I'm not complaining about it it's worth the extra few bob.
First you have to download an app called... wait for it... TWONKY!. (Isn't he one of the Telly Tubbies?)
The names they put on these things never ceases to amaze me, do they think we are all in kindergarden?, the people who think up these names, do they sit in high baby chairs at the board meetings with nappies and dribblers on and soothers in their mouths?, goo goo goo goo, got it!, we'll call it Google!, what a brilliant name Cecil!, tweet tweet tweet, there's another one... Twitter!, fantastic title Sheridan!, thinky tonky lets call it Twonky, now your talking Victor.
Here's a few more straight from the nursery : Yahoo, Jughead, Moof Monster, Flying ice cube, Glyph, Kludge, check them out if you don't believe me. Try explaining over the phone to a young lady assistant that your Moof Monster crashed into a Flying ice cube, or you can't instal your Twonky. you'd be arrested for making obscene phone calls. For Gods sake grow up.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2014, 10:07 AM

Re: Childish Terms.

I guess it is because many of the people who design these thing are often little more than children themselves.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2014, 11:02 AM

Products have to have a name that is memorable to imprint their name.

Remember these slogans & the product from way back when............?

Say it with flowers

Snap! Crackle! Pop!”

A little dab’ll do ya.”

"Finger lickin’ good.

"We try harder.”

Jem is right, I wonder how many of these new products will still be remembered in 50 years time, and how many will have been adopted as the generic name rather than the COMMERCIAL name.

For example BIRO for all ball point pens & HOOVER for all vacuum cleaners
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2014, 11:40 AM

God love ya Jem - what a start to me day !
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2014, 12:25 PM

How I agree with you Jem - it is ridiculous and hard to believe that adults can think names like that are cool! I would rename them all 'thingy' in very short order
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2014, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Jem is right, I wonder how many of these new products will still be remembered in 50 years time, and how many will have been adopted as the generic name rather than the COMMERCIAL name.[/SIZE][/FONT]

For example BIRO for all ball point pens & HOOVER for all vacuum cleaners
[/FONT][/FONT]
These names are not necessarily universal for example Hoover doesn't mean a vacuum cleaner here and Durex used to mean sticky tape. While thongs are what you would call flip flops.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
For Gods sake grow up.
Here here Jem, what makes it worse for me is that a lot of these new software products don't work correctly, but we now live in age where 'Get it right first time' is some kind of insult, anything goes, just issue a new upgrade and get all the stupid customers to install it, oh and by the way if they complain too much just issue a weasel worded news release and make sure that the words 'we're sorry,' and 'we'll learn from this' and 'it'll all be put right in the next software version' are included, and then we can all go home and forget these customers and get high on something and drunk and tell ourselves what great people we are
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2014, 01:17 PM

Not forgetting the WOOFER either ...... I thought that was a dog not something to do with loudspeakers!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2014, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Not forgetting the WOOFER either ...... I thought that was a dog not something to do with loudspeakers!
:lol Oh yes the Woofer, and don't forget the other term from fairyland the Troll. My son tells me I'll have to install 'Hungry Joe' to get rid of my cookies. Mother Goose come back all is forgiven.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2014, 02:33 PM

Mags - Jem .......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top