Join for free
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 08:43 AM

Falling out of bed..

No point to this really its just we have been up since 4, 52 am when Benny fell out of bed.

There was a crash and we heard him stumble, we both flew out of bed and put the light on to find the old boy standing on 'bambi' legs and trembling slightly.

Its the sort of thing that brings mixed emotions, I want to laugh because a dog falling out of bed is so silly but on the other hand I am sad that he is getting so old that these things are happening and old familiar things have to be changed ever so slightly to accomodate him..

Today instead of changing his bed which he knows and loves OH is going to cut the little legs off of it so that its only a fraction off the ground...

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	550  
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 09:16 AM

Re: Falling out of bed..

It's sad when things like that happen . But he is lucky that you are changing things to help him.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 09:27 AM

Try not to worry too much Cass, perhaps he was just dreaming and felt a bit disorientated.
I think your idea to lower the bed a bit is sensible though, it might help him to get in if he has a wobbly day, too.
Hope he's feeling better today bless him.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 10:09 AM

Poor old chap Cass I see it is the rectangular basket type of bed so he must have fallen out of the front . If you have an old duvet or blanket maybe fold it and put it in front of the basket so he if falling laying/on something soft.

I am always amazed at the strange uncomfortable positions Chloe lays in. half in and half out of her bed, She often wakes herself up to get back into bed.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 11:22 AM

Oh dear, poor Benny, I bet he gave himself a fright. ChoCho´s bed is one of those "plastic" ones, she has a mattress in the bottom, a blanket over that, and a soft plush bed on top of that, (not that she´s spoilt of course). ChoCho usually sleeps on her back, back legs flat out, front ones up in the air. Little Muffin was like Meg,s Chloe, half in and half out, but always on his back. We used to put a pillow in front of his bed.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 11:22 AM

Thanks everyone Benny is a one for rolling about, sleeping upside down and making a nest of his blankets..

We just adapt and make things work for him , but I think its important to keep things as normal as possible because he cant see anymore so his nose and a familiar layout are essential to him remaining happy and independent.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
so his nose and a familiar layout are essential to him remaining happy and independent.
Thank God for someone who understands dogs. Good old Benny, may he live a life of retirement as good as any dog could wish. Food, water, and a bed which is close to the floor.
Cass
NL

26-03-2016, 04:13 PM

I'm happy to say that last night passed without a hiccup and Benny was very happy with the new arrangement.. (no legs bed!)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_8119.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	563   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_8120.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	564  
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
I'm happy to say that last night passed without a hiccup and Benny was very happy with the new arrangement.. (no legs bed!)
That´s good to know Cass. Long may Benny enjoy his new sleeping arrangements.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top