Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2015, 10:24 AM

What about the homeless

I was watching a programme about the homeless sleeping rough out there on the streets many of them ex military that fought for this country and what thanks do they get? A cardboard box to sleep on in some doorway or alley.
Yet these refugees come over here and are given homes, benefit payements you name it they will get it. And our own heroes that put their lives at risk are left out in the cold to get their heads kicked in by roaming gangs of drunken thugs.
Certainly makes you wonder, well it it does me anyway. There is seriously something wrong with this country when it puts foreigners before its own people.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2015, 10:40 AM

Re: What about the homeless

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
I was watching a programme about the homeless sleeping rough out there on the streets many of them ex military that fought for this country and what thanks do they get? A cardboard box to sleep on in some doorway or alley.
Yet these refugees come over here and are given homes, benefit payements you name it they will get it. And our own heroes that put their lives at risk are left out in the cold to get their heads kicked in by roaming gangs of drunken thugs.
Certainly makes you wonder, well it it does me anyway. There is seriously something wrong with this country when it puts foreigners before its own people.
The media (those that dare report on such subjects) are almost certainly exaggerating ... BUT exaggerating or not ..... this is a disheartening problem. I see 2 ways to deal with it.

1). Toss enough refugees out in order to give "our own" a place to put their head down.
2). Leave the veterans out in the cold and police the roaming gangs of drunken thugs. (sarcasm)

To do neither is a scandal, one that will see some serious upheaval in near future.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2015, 10:58 AM

Yes Doc - seen many a docu on the subject - heartbreaking
I'm surprised though, the British Legion are supposed to help - maybe there's too many to deal with
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2015, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Doc a proportion of those people have conditions like PTSD and other injuries which make it difficult for them to hold down a job and to support themselves factors which lead to homelessness.

There was a good programme on BBC2 recently called 'Hire our Heros 'where ex servicemen with 'problems' were helped back to work I think it may still be available on Iplayer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...roes-episode-1.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-ra...iew-bbc-2-vets

Hopefull the programme will raise awareness among some companies and encourage them to sign up support The armed forces covenant. The more ex servicemen who get back into employment and out of hostels the more we will get in off the streets.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2015, 11:20 AM

Its very sad Doc but I think we have to help ALL the homeless not just the ex servicemen...an awful lot have mental health problems and with cutbacks to health services in these areas its no wonder many are falling through the cracks.
Care in the community doesnt exist half the time..I was watching the news yesterday and saw that the church were asking Governement to intervene ..I think they have pledged a fair amount (but never enough) to help the homeless
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2015, 11:24 AM

Thats right Aysa i did not just mean the ex service homeless i meant all. Maybe i never worded it correctly sorry☺
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2015, 11:24 AM

Thats ok Doc I thought you did mean all the homeless
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2015, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Its very sad Doc but I think we have to help ALL the homeless not just the ex servicemen...an awful lot have mental health problems and with cutbacks to health services in these areas its no wonder many are falling through the cracks.
Care in the community doesnt exist half the time..I was watching the news yesterday and saw that the church were asking Governement to intervene ..I think they have pledged a fair amount (but never enough) to help the homeless
I agree Aysa however I think we have a special duty to our ex service men some of whom were sent to fight in Blair's 'fools war', returned with injuries and now find themselves on the streets.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2015, 12:02 PM

I don't see it as helping one or the other we have empty homes, can build more and should be able to help them all.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

24-12-2015, 12:14 PM

This country is more than able to help ALL homeless persons its just the willingness part theyre struggling with ....how I wish the government would stop coming out with excuses and just do what is right for people!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top