Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

17-05-2013, 03:55 AM

Medical Human Cloning

It’s still on the cards and the research and science continues and of course ignores the opponents on human cloning.

The latest experiments have used a new method called “somatic cell nuclear transfer” which involves taking a sample of skin cells but converts them using proteins to "induced pluripotent" stem cells.

Opponents say this could lead to human cloning – the scientists say NO that cannot happen, it is not possible we only want to produce stem cells to help people with various ailments such as blindness, heart disease etc were the use of stem cells can create healing.

[Bit like putting a dressing on a wound to assist it to heal – my example]

My view is that human cloning will never happen – 1. we don’t understand the intricate mechanisms of embryonic development and 2. There are still major ethical issues for both atheists and religious minded people.

Remember Dolly the sheep died young.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22540374
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2013, 08:37 AM

Re: Medical Human Cloning

I would support cloning cells and even possibly organs as we need to stop waiting for babies and adults to die to save others. Cannot though help but worry they will try to do more and that cannot be allowed to happen.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2013, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I would support cloning cells and even possibly organs as we need to stop waiting for babies and adults to die to save others. Cannot though help but worry they will try to do more and that cannot be allowed to happen.
They will and already are: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/9...ing-woman.html

Species die out for a reason and, in this case, Neanderthals, although they co-existed laterly with Cro-Magnons (our direct ancestors), they couldn't compete due to their limb size (this is the popular theory at the moment) so Neanderthals became extinct. What is the point of reinventing them? Just to prove they can? I'm not so sure it's a good idea but you can bet they will try.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2013, 01:29 PM

Not good ! And what rights would these cloned "people" have ? They are experiments at present would the scientists allow them to be free people or keep them captive like some lab rat ?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2013, 01:34 PM

They would have to let them live a 'freeish' life but most likely under constant surveillance. The problem comes with pathogens which will also be in the DNA recovered from fossils (although at that time, it is thought that Neanderthals were susceptible to our pathogens rather than the other way around but, who knows what would happen if recreated?) - could they represent a thread to the modern world?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

18-05-2013, 01:57 PM

If we normal mortals can see the problems why can't these more clever people these men and women of science see them ?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

18-05-2013, 02:05 PM

Because, I guess, they are driven by the need to cross the next 'frontier', overcome the next hurdle. If it's genuinely to improve life as we have it now and all risk is minimised as much as can be expected, I'd nervously go along with it but to recreate an extinct species?
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2013, 02:13 PM

Neanderthal teenagers!

( reckon there's already a few around)
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

18-05-2013, 02:34 PM

I am smiling in agreement with you maggis
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2013, 03:20 PM

"Remember Dolly the sheep died young."

I thought Uncle Joe ate Dolly the Sheep.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top