Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2013, 04:52 PM

New Life Form?

Two newly discovered viruses are twice as large as the previous record-holders and may represent a completely new life form, French scientists reported in the US journal Science.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/huge-viruse...1.html#EQ1ppMN

Does a virus really qualify as a life form?

They go on to say:

'Researchers say they were "extremely surprised" by the discovery of what they are calling "Pandoraviruses," which are not believed to be the type that make people sick.'

'Most of their genes appear unfamiliar to scientists, and they contain code for proteins and enzymes that "do unknown things," the authors said.'

Gulp
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2013, 04:53 PM

Re: New Life Form?

Scary stuff but yes a virus could be considered a life form I think they learn and change etc
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2013, 05:02 PM

I never minded when they found new fish or some such thing but a virus - it's known as mans only real predator!
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2013, 07:16 PM

Yes viruses are a life form in themselves.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2013, 09:42 PM

Well they're not the type to make you sick, that's not a bad start. "They do unknown things" that has to be a first from the experts, actually admitting they don't know what they are doing, that's another good thing, lets have 'em on then and find out all about these mysterious "Unknown things", that'll be something to really get their teeth into and I wish them every success. It could be very interesting, I've always believed the secrets of the universe are to be found on our own planet. Thanks for posting it Karen.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2013, 01:29 AM

Of course viruii are a life form, because they can protect themselves if attacked in many cases but, some can actually mutate to protect their species, hence the different strains of influenza, of which there are many.

Bacteria are life forms also. It has been found that some bacteria have learned how to survive in waste from nuclear plants which would kill us, so anything that has the capability of adapting to different environments are indeed a life form and which, thousands of years from now, could evolve into sensient beings such as ourselves. Maybe, maybe not, but we won't be here to see it if it did happen as it would take place over thousands of years.

After all, humans evolved from the very same genetic code, as all other creatures on this planet did before them.

BV, there are laboratories here in England and the USA who monkey around with stuff in order to find something for biological warfare. Make no mistake about that, otherwise they wouldn't have the need for containment buildings and, if they're ever breached, untold mayhem would be released.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2013, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Of course viruii are a life form, because they can protect themselves if attacked in many cases but, some can actually mutate to protect their species, hence the different strains of influenza, of which there are many.

Bacteria are life forms also. It has been found that some bacteria have learned how to survive in waste from nuclear plants which would kill us, so anything that has the capability of adapting to different environments are indeed a life form and which, thousands of years from now, could evolve into sensient beings such as ourselves. Maybe, maybe not, but we won't be here to see it if it did happen as it would take place over thousands of years.

After all, humans evolved from the very same genetic code, as all other creatures on this planet did before them.

BV, there are laboratories here in England and the USA who monkey around with stuff in order to find something for biological warfare. Make no mistake about that, otherwise they wouldn't have the need for containment buildings and, if they're ever breached, untold mayhem would be released.
Yes, some doomsday preppers are stocking up on food and water, I am stock piling Dettol and Vim.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Yes, some doomsday preppers are stocking up on food and water, I am stock piling Dettol and Vim.
A wise decision Spitfire, one can never be without ones Dettol and Vim in any germ situation. It's the 1 per cent that gets away you have to worry about.
zoolady100
Warkworth, Canada
zoolady100 is female 

20-07-2013, 01:51 PM

Interesting, I don't doubt it but also never thought about it much The 1st thing I did think of though was terrorists, trying to perfect something, & some bacteria crawled away in the meantime.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

20-07-2013, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Well they're not the type to make you sick, that's not a bad start.
Err Jem, it said 'which are not believed to be the type that make people sick.'

It could be very interesting, I've always believed the secrets of the universe are to be found on our own planet. Thanks for posting it Karen.
I agree - things like this fascinate me and I'm pleased you enjoyed reading it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top