Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2014, 11:58 PM

Doppler Test

I've got to have a Doppler Test this Friday. I know its a painless procedure, but a bit anxious about what it might reveal.
Anyone else had one?
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 02:39 AM

Re: Doppler Test

Yes, I had a Doppler scan when I had a TIA (mini stroke) back in April of 2011.

Really, you should ask your GP about it, or the hospital staff, but it examines the flow of the blood to the heart.

A Doppler test is a medical test where high frequency sound waves are transmitted into the veins and arteries to monitor blood flow.

If you have any worries, please ask your GP who will explain it to you.

Why weren't you told why you were going for a Doppler scan?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 12:36 PM

Mollie, I don't think Mups said she didn't know why she was having the test.

Doppler tests aren't just done on the heart, but on arteries elsewhere too. It's just a diagnostic tool to examine blood flow.

Mups, hope your GP can give you some reassurance - have you discussed your worries?
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I've got to have a Doppler Test this Friday. I know its a painless procedure, but a bit anxious about what it might reveal.
It is a very simple procedure Mups but not knowing anything about your symptoms or what the reasons are for you having one, it is difficult to reassure or predict any possible findings.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Mollie, I don't think Mups said she didn't know why she was having the test.

Doppler tests aren't just done on the heart, but on arteries elsewhere too. It's just a diagnostic tool to examine blood flow.

Mups, hope your GP can give you some reassurance - have you discussed your worries?

You're right Ania, I do know why I'm having the test.
Its because I get a lot of cramping pain in my calf muscles when I walk, and its bloomin' unpleasant and stops me going as far or as fast as I would like.
They've done CRP and ESR tests and they were o.k. so now its the Doppler next. I admit I am anxious because heart conditions are very much in the family.
Another busy day tomorrow because I've got a telly repair man coming at 9.30, then over to Mum's to change her pain relief patch, plus meet with the District Nurse, then off for this bloomin' test on my legs after that.
Oh well, fingers crossed ey.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
... I do know why I'm having the test.
Its because I get a lot of cramping pain in my calf muscles when I walk, and its bloomin' unpleasant and stops me going as far or as fast as I would like..
Mups, doppler tests on the lower limbs are also done to check for varicose veins as not all varicose veins are visible, and for detecting other reasons as to why/or if the blood flow is restricted and causing the cramps.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-03-2014, 11:38 PM

Oh well, so far so good. Had the test and got good loud, clear signals in both legs. B.P. was good too, so that was a relief.
Not quite sure where we go from here yet, will try and get to see the doc again next week and see what she advices now.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top