Join for free
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 04:59 PM

Psylium/Ispaghula

Just been to my local Asian shop and noticed packets of ispaghula powder, aka psylium powder.
A quick Surf shows that it is a dietary fibre or bulking agent, similar, I presume to bran.

Has anyone used it, or know anything else about it?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 05:12 PM

Re: Psylium/Ispaghula

Known as fybogel in the western world, I believe. It is widely used in the UK.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 05:43 PM

Psyllium husks are a great source of good clean fibre
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 06:09 PM

I know of Fybogel.
Is slurrying it up into a drink the only way of using it, or can you add it to soups & stews as for bran?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 11:21 PM

You can add it to soups and stews, Zuludog, it tastes better that way rather than in a drink. Use it as bran.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 11:38 PM

Zuludog, to my mind it is so much better than Fybogel because if you can just buy the Psyllium husks, that is ALL it contains. Whereas Fybogel contains flavourings, aspartame, saccharin, potassium bicarbonate, sodium bicarbonate, polysorbate 80, and colouring, so you decide which you would prefer...

Also, with the pure p/husks you can sprinkle it over your porridge or whatever cereals. If you just want to make a drink of it with water or juice, drink it immediately, and then drink another full glass of water right afterwards.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2015, 05:37 PM

Psyllium husk powder is a great ingredient for making Gluten Free bread. It has become quite popular for that specific purpose in the last couple of years.

Prior to this Gluten-Free loaves were typically "bound together with a variety of things like Xantham Gum and Guar Gum. Not really stuff you want in your bread. Psyllium husk gels together when wet and provides a perfect natural ingredient for the bread allowing you to dump the other gums.

I bought decent quantities of Psyllium husk for bread making from Body Building websites as it is more popularly used in that context.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top