Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 09:17 PM

School Funding

Should parents help fund schooling?
It appears that this is being considered.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 09:30 PM

Re: School Funding

I suppose there's two views on this.
Why shouldn't parents chip in toward their kids education?
Many parents do anyway who feel it's justified to get their kids into a 'better' or more desirable school with a better track record on academic excellence.

On the other hand ... in principle, education should be free to all (I'm not keen on student loans either). I'm sure a lot of parents won't be able to comfortably manage the added burden on their already strained finances.
Though I should point out, having never had kids, ... I wouldn't know how a parent would feel about this. Some might see it as a worthwhile expense.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 09:43 PM

No kids either and despite having a moron for a father I did pass the 11+. My lady has a teenage daughter at grammar school. I think I may `help` if asked.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 09:43 PM

I truly hope it never comes to that. I can foresee a two-tier system if it does. Let those who can afford it, give their children a private education, it has worked fine for over a century, but leave the free education system alone. It doesn't bear thinking about when hard pressed families are struggling with financial problems already. Apart from the NHS, our education system is the last free bastion for kids to be educated. at least enough to be able to go out into the world knowing how to read, write and add up!! If parents are made to fund their education, I can see us returning to many of the kids being illiterate by not being able to afford an education. Do we really want to return to that era?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 09:47 PM

We have funded them out of taxation for many years everyone chips in and that's how it should be. If it's not done like that poorer kids will not stand a chance.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 09:55 PM

I`m glad I have no children. My younger nephew is quite well off and yet he had to make a decision. Private school? His dad and his uncle got the 11+
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 09:56 PM

I see that some are already whining about allocating funds for the creation of `Free` schools - grammar schools by the back door according to liberal left. Supposedly this will advantage some pupils at the expense of others especially so if some parents can afford to add to the funding of their child's schooling.

Personally I've never seen the grammar school versus secondary schools as an issue but there's always someone who objects to someone else being perceived as being better than they are or as failures because they didn't pass some exam or other. Poppycock. This sort of doom-mongering only convinces people that perhaps they are failures and so won't bother to strive to make a better life for themselves and just give them a sense of victimhood.

I've never felt a failure or of lesser value than someone who passed their eleven plus when I didn't. I still got a decent level of education at the SM school, left with good exam results allowing me to get a good job and went on to get more qualifications.

It's no sin to have been born in the gutter but it's terrible sin wanting to stay there.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

07-03-2017, 10:06 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gvCF2ugrjA

Oh yes psuedo public school-stand up that boy and take the cane because you no no Latin and your voice is not that of an angel. And that was before my old school went co-ed
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 01:34 AM

We did, by having bring & buy sales, coffee mornings & fetes & Christmas fairs, all through my kids school days at various schools. These funded things they needed to help with their school work.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 10:37 AM

We need grammars IMO I have no problem with selecting pupils by their grades it's the best way out of poverty for many kids, get a really good education, what I hate is money giving them a push up the ladder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top